Johnson 40 horse

Fury2

Cadet
Bought the boat with a lot of repair needed however the motor seemed in good shape. A local marina went thru it and said it ran well but when I started it alot of oil ran out of the prop area. Will a new impellar kit be necessary? The marina said sometimes when they sit a long time they might burp and spit some oil.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 40 horse

Any info on mod# what year? when the marina went "thru it" how long ago was that? when you started it was it spitting / discharging water? was the oil dark black, grey, looked like coffee with cream? sounds like you might want to talk to your local marina guy & ask a few more questions, what did he check, did he replace anything, (parts, water pump etc, did he do any test, clean any parts, change any oil etc. if the impeller is over 2 years sitting replace it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the year a certain amount of fuel goes through the motor and comes out the exhaust
it could be blackish and oily but may smell of gas.This is normal.
A certain amount may drain after you have shut it down.
If the motor was run in a test tank they tend to be very dirty from this wasted fuel
some of your discharge could be from that.

Fury2

Cadet

Bought the boat with a lot of repair needed however the motor seemed in good shape. A local marina went thru it and said it ran well but when I started it alot of oil ran out of the prop area. Will a new impellar kit be necessary? The marina said sometimes when they sit a long time they might burp and spit some oil.

The motor is a 40 horse johnson 2 stroke purchased around 1990. It sat out side without use for many years. After a tune up at a local marina I ran it in a tank and it began to leak dark black oil that seemed to come out of the prop area. Didn't look as though there were any signs of water with the oil. I don't believe they did anything with the lower unit. Could a gascet or something be bad. I was thinking of trying to insall a new impeller myself however I don't know much about motors. You tube makes it look somewhat doable. Service order from the marina stated that it was river tested and the water pump ok. I asked the owner about the impeller and he said it seemed fine. Any ideas?