Electric shift spring clutch on OMC sterndrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubman

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there. I have a problem with an older OMC sterndrive that won't go into forward. I suspect it's the forward clutch spring from reading similar posts. As some of you guys seem to have made the repair yourself is there anyway you could share the procedure. Trying to work out if I should tackle this myself or leave it to the experts. I know its a very costly repair if done by a shop, at least where I live.

I purchased the boat earlier this year. It's a custom built boat with an older OMC sterndrive. Not sure of the year but I believe it's pre 1986. The boat was shifting fine until a few weeks ago. I started it on the trailer just to check everything and noticed the prop was not spinning correctly in forward, works fine in reverse. Checked all the power and it was good. With the engine off but key on and in forward you can spin the prop with no resistance. This is why I believe the spring has broken.

Any advise/ instructions truly appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Electric shift spring clutch on OMC sterndrive

A model # of the unit would help.

dubman

Seaman Apprentice

A model # of the unit would help.

Thanks for responding. I wish I had one. It's been the big challenge with this boat. No model numbers, no names on anything. All painted over and undetectable. I only know it's an OMC because a boat dealer told me. But it's definitely old. If anyone knows of identifying marks that might tell me what model / year it is I'll look for them.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

post some pics. you may not even have an electric shift, pre 86 means nothing, there are several drives in that range. electric shifts are 68-77. You may have a hydro mechanical or some other type of shift.

I am tackling changing an electric shift spring right now, not too difficult, there are a couple of specialty tools needed though.

dubman

Seaman Apprentice

Just starting out with the forum deal, can I post a pic? Once I work it out I will. I was told by a boat mechanic that it was an electric shift, it's a three way switch at console, forward, neutral and reverse positions. Not sure if those other shift types would have that but to be honest I have no idea. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. THX

southkogs

Staff member

If it's an electric shift, the prop should spin without any power to it.

If you're an electric shift, you should have two cables coming off the intermediate housing on the port side of the engine. You can see mine on the lower right side of this photo.
OMCes_ShiftCables.jpg
Your second step might be to see if you've got energy to those cables.

Your first step is to confirm you're an electric shift. Mine is an older unit ('72) and looks like this:
OMCes_Exhaust.jpg
A tel-tale that would absolutely be an electric shift is the intake screen just behind the prop like this:
OMCes_wtrIntake.jpg

Last photo is my shifter, which sounds to be different than yours:

Attachments

• OMCes_Throttle.jpg
    OMCes_Throttle.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 2

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I was told by a boat mechanic that it was an electric shift, it's a three way switch at console, forward, neutral and reverse positions. Not sure if those other shift types would have that but to be honest I have no idea. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. THX
Sounds like someone installed a separate switch when a console shifter failed. The problem with doing that is that it is possible to shift while not at idle speed which can cause the broken spring issue.

dubman

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the photos, mine does not look like that. Going to take photos now and post. Bruce is right, my shifter switch was added later and I believe it's causing exactly the problem he mentioned. Although I was always careful to pull the throttle back all the way before shifting it would be easy to shift a little before the perfect idle speed (the idle itself may be too high I guess)
Anyway, going to get pics as identifying the engine type is obviously the most important first step.

All great help guys, thx

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

(the idle itself may be too high I guess)
That's why they break. You have to be really careful with these electric shift stringers.

dubman

Seaman Apprentice

here's the pics Sterndrive.jpgLower unit.jpgNew added switch.jpgOld shifter with throttle on right.jpgEngine.jpg

Redrig

yup, thats an electric shift.

before you start tearing into things though, you need to verify that you are getting 12 volts to your shift wires.

that may be a little tough with your controls as they are definately a custom job.

Down by the tilt motor (port side, in engine bay) you will see 2 wires - green and blue. green is F and blue is R.

verify that you are gettign 12 volts to those when trying to shift.

southkogs

Staff member

You can test those wires by turning the key to the "on" position, but don't start the engine. Make sure you have a good battery charge. Flip your shift switch into F and see if you get 12v at the green wire.

Have ya' got a manual?

dubman

Seaman Apprentice

yes, I downloaded a manual but could not find any clear detailed description of the spring location in it. Kind of a grainy copy. I will perform the wire test but meanwhile does anyone know how big a job this would be, what I would have to take apart if it is the spring. THX

Redrig

what I would have to take apart if it is the spring. THX

1. you have to remove the entire drive from the boat. not a big deal, pretty easy actually.
2. seperate the upper from the lower, not extremely tough
3. disassemble basically the entire lower unit. the forward spring is in the front part of the lower, reverse is much easier to access. to get to the forward spring requires 1 special tool, omc 311875 socket.

did you download the Seloc manual ? it goes through it in detail.

I am doing the exact thing with my spare drive and it is not extremely difficult, but most people would probably defer this job to a pro, but I like tinkering.

EDIT - also within steps 1 and 2 above there are alot of basic maintenance items so you should get familiar with that anyways, such as impeller change, lubing splines, ect.

dubman

Seaman Apprentice

great stuff, thank you. It sounds a little intense for a first timer but it's good to know what's involved. I'll check out the manual you suggested.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

My friend once had the same shifting problem, it didn't go into forward. The problem was the shiftwire outside the boat. It had been rubbing against the upper housing, and one of the wires was now separated. It took a thorough inspection, before we found the spot where the wire was broken. Anyway, we soldered the wire together again, gave it some heat shrink, and it has been working since then.

The shiftwire comes out of the intermediate housing, goes through the upper gear housing and dowm to the lower unit. It is held by a spring, to keep it clear, when the outdrive turns from side to side.

Last edited:

dubman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, sounds like I have a dilemma either way I go. I love the boat so I'll have to fix it one way or another. All the replies helped a lot, glad I joined the forum. I'll be back for more great help.

fisherphil

Recruit

I've got the same issue on my '71 IMP Aztec. Good info on this thanks guys. If a mech did this how much would it run?

southkogs

Staff member

I've got the same issue on my '71 IMP Aztec. Good info on this thanks guys. If a mech did this how much would it run?
Hard to say, not knowing what the problem really is. And if ya' can find a mechanic who'll touch it ...

dubman

Seaman Apprentice

a local guy here wants $385 for the spring and about $500 in labor, ouch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.