5.7 GSi - Raw Water Draining

Glevans1

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry to add another winterizing question, but just want to make sure I'm good for the winter lay-up.

V/P 5.7 GSi PEFS, model year 2000. I've done all the recommended steps in the shop manual, finishing up with draining the raw water cooling system. As far as I can see from the manual and looking at my engine, I only need to remove the two brass plugs from the rear of the manifolds, remove the lower water hose from the power steering cooler, remove the two hoses from the raw water supply pump, quickly turn over the engine and let drain. Is that correct?

My coolant is fine so I shouldn't have to do anything with the closed cooling system. Right?

Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.7 GSi - Raw Water Draining

Not sure how your engine is set up exactly, but I believe the vapor separator has to have the hoses removed and low pressure air used to blow out the cooling pasages and lines.

Glevans1

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure how your engine is set up exactly, but I believe the vapor separator has to have the hoses removed and low pressure air used to blow out the cooling pasages and lines.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I gather it would have something to do with a cooling line somewhere in the fuel delivery system. Pretty sure I don't have that. Thanks Don.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have one, you just don't know what it is. It's also called the fuel cell. It has the fuel filter, both pumps, and a cooling system to keep it cool. There are two small hoses that plumb into the cooling system. You will find the pressure water hose going to it coming from the heat exchangers raw water side, and the outlet water hose is probably on the port exhaust elbow.

Glevans1

Seaman Apprentice

Correct as usual, Don. Located the lines and cleared them out. Thanks.