Starter Pinion Gear

jslu

Seaman
1987 Merc 35 HP SN# 111943, recently purchased.

Per the serial no., this is a 1987 model year, and also per the serial no., an early build of that year, within the first 1200 units.

My question is this:
The starter pinion on this engine is a 9 tooth gear. According to all info (my Merc manual, Crowley,Boats., etc.) this should be a 10 tooth gear for 1987. Looking back into the 1986 model year for this engine, a 9 tooth gear is shown.

The matching serial no. does not appear on the engine block stamped into in the usual convex bare metal plug, but rather a generic flat painted plug is in place.

So---- What does this mean?
Merc used leftover 1986 parts early in the 1987 model year? Or -----
The engine block has been rebuilt or swapped ?
I understand the mechanics of gear ratio change, but I'm not sure why Merc did it.

I buy and refurbish these 35's for resale and have not seen this confiiguration in 6 different engines.

John

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starter Pinion Gear

More than likely the motor has been rebuilt and replaced from a earlier year motor. Not uncommen for this to be the case as diffrent years of blocks will fit more than just one year of the same HP motor. This is what some call a frankinmerc and most will run fine if the job was done correctly. Or someone has put the wrong bendix gear on the starter or has changed the flywheel and the gear.JMO
Oldman570