1999 Sea Ray Sundancer 310 V Drive propshaft seals

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought the above. It has 300 hrs on it. I never had an inboard. I am a certified auto technician so I just need pointed in the right direction.

First of all, there is a raw water 3/8" hose feeding the seals. I assume to cool them. Questions are:

How to get in there? I'm mid size. 5'8" 180lbs. I assume....remove both inside exhaust manifolds so i can get down under the engines??? Even that will be very tight!

Then comes how to do the job so because once I'm done it won't be easy to check to see if it's fixed.

How much water is normal? If any?

How tight should it be?

Thanks and I look forward to any help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1999 Sea Ray Sundancer 310 V Drive propshaft seals

Need an engine and transmission Mercruiser serial number, type of boat is meaningless.

How to get in there? I'm mid size. 5'8" 180lbs. I assume....remove both inside exhaust manifolds so i can get down under the engines??? Even that will be very tight!
You take things apart until you can do the job, welcome to boat repair 101, it's NEVER easy.

Then comes how to do the job so because once I'm done it won't be easy to check to see if it's fixed.
How much water is normal? If any?
How tight should it be?
Un-answerable without know what engine and transmission you have

EDIT:
I may have misunderstood, are you talking about the seal on the transmission, or the packing gland?
If the packing gland, then forget the serial numbers.
Post a picture of the type packing gland you have.

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes Don. I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the seal where the shaft goes through the floor, the packing seal (if you will). That's why I didn't mention anything about the engines or V drives. They are Velvet 5000's. I mentioned the part of the water cooling hose going from the exhaust raw water to feed the seals because I thought that might help with what they are.

I'll try to get a picture this weekend. I have not actually gotten my head down in there. (yet).

thanks,

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since it has nothing to do with the type of engine or V-drive, or transmission, I'm going to move this over to Boat Topics

hottoddie

Seaman Apprentice

You will either have PSS or Tides Marine dripless shaft seals. The tides seal has a spare seal in a carrier between the shaft log and the transmission. They were installed because it's such a PITA to get to to adjust. I prefer the Tides Marine as they are less likely to leak and the spare seal that is easy to use as a replacement makes it a no brainer. My 26 year old Sea Ray 390 has the Tides and in the 2 years I've had the boat no leakage at all. BTW neither type of seal is supposed to leak any water, that's why they are dripless not drip less.