Stuck prop

RebelCobalt

Cadet
Hello - I have a VolvoPenta duoprop on my 1998 Cobalt 220. My mechanic needs to get both props off to change the fluids, but the inner one is stuck on. Any suggestions on how to loosen a stuck prop (special tools, grease, acids etc)?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stuck prop

If I were faced with that situation I would tilt the drive up to put the prop as vertical as I could. Then introduce the most effective penetrating oil that I could on the shaft-spline interface. Maybe do it several times over a couple of days.

Then I would get a wheel puller and chain or whatever interface element I needed to grasp the blades of the prop at the outer barrel....as close to the center as I could get and put as much tension on the prop as I reasonably could putting the tension on the end of the prop shaft.

If prop is alum, a block of wood 2"x4" and a 2-4 lb mallet and while slowly rotating the prop, whack the blades via the wood as close to the shaft as possible.

Keep the tension up on the chain and wheel puller.

After a few days of repeating this process, if you can't get it off, get a torch and heat the hub of the prop, but expect to have to replace the hub and possibly the prop shaft output seal due to head damaging the rubber components.

Mark

RebelCobalt

Cadet

Many thanks. If I have to resort to heating the hub, any idea how much a repair like that would cost (labor + spare hub parts)?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Many thanks. If I have to resort to heating the hub, any idea how much a repair like that would cost (labor + spare hub parts)?

You don't want to heat anything because you have a prop shaft seal just forward of the prop and you could damage that and multiply your problems. On cost, ask a prop shop. I have no idea.

Mark