OMC 5.0 knock / clunking when engaged in gear

blakehales

Cadet
I recently purchased, from my father, a 1992 fourwinns 190 horizon with an OMC 5.0. We are the 2nd owner and have owned the boat since 1996. I'm not sure exact hours on the boat but no more than 250. Overall we have been extremely happy with the boat, it has required no repairs in its 20 years, just routine service.

The last couple summers when shifting the boat from idle into gear there is a considerable clunk or knock as it engages. Once engaged in gear everything seems to run fine and the engine purrs.

Just joined the forum today and would appreciate any input. Look forward to posted in the future!!!

Thanks

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC 5.0 knock / clunking when engaged in gear

Mine makes a pretty good clunk, too. Sounds downright scary when out of the water and running on muffs. Have you listened to other boats when they shift? They all make a clunk. Now if it's popping out of gear when under load you have an issue.

blakehales

Cadet

Mine makes a pretty good clunk, too. Sounds downright scary when out of the water and running on muffs. Have you listened to other boats when they shift? They all make a clunk. Now if it's popping out of gear when under load you have an issue.

Thanks for comment. Hate to admit but haven't really paid much attention to other boats when shifting. It has never popped out of gear so I just wont worry about it.

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard: Just to be sure - you're regularly changing your gear lube, right? :)

blakehales

Cadet

Not sure? To be honest we have the boat winterized and oil change by our marina every year and routine "tune ups" every few. Honestly, im not even sure what the tune ups consist of. Im not very mechanical but now that i own the boat and with it being 20 years old I plan to learn more about boat maintenance.

How often should gear lube be changed?

Thanks

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are using the boat regularly during the season, the gear lube should be changed every end of season... as far as the clunk goes... just make sure to not be afraid of it... a lot of people are afraid they are doing something wrong, so they try to shift easier or slower, and this actually is bad and makes the clunk worse... you should shift with a positive "authority" to the engagement point and do it without hesitation, this is easier on the clutches and gears... Welcome Aboard!

southkogs

Staff member

Yeah, I don't wanna' scare you with the gear lube. You're "klunk" might be fairly normal. My folks boat creeps me out every I shift it 'cause it's so much louder than mine ... but it's working normally.

Keep it lubed up and watch for performance or sound changes.

blakehales

Cadet

Great info...thanks!! That is exactly what I've been doing for a couple seasons is shifting as slowly as possible, I will stop that. When our marina delivers the boat this spring I will be sure and get an itemized list of exactly what their "winterizing" consists of.

I really appreciate the quick and helpful info from everyone. Now that I own the boat I plan to teach myself how to keep it running smoothly for years to come.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Check to be sure your idle RPM is not too high. Ballpark it should be around 650-750 RPM. Any higher, and your basically slamming the drive into gear. Might also want to have the shop check the shift cables to make sure they are properly adjusted, and not binding up.