Sterndrive repainting - will 2 part paint be ok for the plastic rear cover?

trailsend

Recruit
I'm in the process of cleaning/sanding/stripping/metal-prepping/Alodining and choosing which paints to use for my "new-to-me" Volvo SX sterndrive (it's a 2001). I'm really tempted to just use the Moeller "rattle cans" (some say they're fine, but this boat will spend summers at the dock in freshwater and there's a good amount of bare metal showing after sanding). However, most people whose boats live in the water for the season seem to think that 2-part primers and urethanes are the way to go, but I'm a little concerned about the unit's rear cover, which seems like plastic to me. Epoxies and urethanes stick well to properly prepped aluminum, but I'm not so sure about the plastic cover.

Has anyone used 2-part epoxy or urethanes to repaint a Volvo sterndrive with a plastic cover? If so, is there any special prep? I realize that automotive paints cover metal as well as plastic bumpers, but they're not usually submerged for 4 months of the year!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dan

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sterndrive repainting - will 2 part paint be ok for the plastic rear cover?

Homepage - AkzoNobel United States Try here for painting questions.
This is the home of Interlux Paints. They know their stuff.
Or maybe try Petit Paints.
Myself,I'd probably just spray can it!! Plastic don't rot or corrode.

trailsend

Recruit

Thanks for the link, Jerry. I'll check with them. I get your point about plastic not rotting, but the cover currently has about half of the factory-installed paint gone and it really looks terrible (I have no idea what happened and neither does the previous owner). I may just shoot the whole thing with the Moeller rattle cans and be done with it, but I'll see what if anything the Interlux guys have to say. I've used lots of Interlux products on previous fiberglass and wooden boats, but never on an aluminum and plastic combination!

Thanks.

Dan

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

i will have to go thru the same procedure. somehow the factory paint on the volvo sx seems to be low quality and after some years a repaint is urgently needed.

a colleque on the marina has an alpha drive which is far older but the factory paint looks better.