Drive Choice

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a drag (strictly) boat project in the planning stages.<br />Hull style has already been decided as has powerplant.<br />I am confused on what type of drive. It seems most are using jets. Why? I see no advantage other than shallow running and you lose hp thru the mechanics of the drive.<br />Comments??

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Drive Choice

The jet's do not seem to be as efficient as a prop. Depending on the class you want to drag that will determine (and your funds too :) ) your propulsion. <br /><br />The fuel drag hydroplanes are stepping up the props and turning them at close to 12,000 rpm and some are running twin props via a gearcase too.<br /><br />Will the boat have any "pleasure use" touring or skiing or just a strictly drag outfit?<br /><br />Bob

f_inscreenname

Commander

Most boat dragers are changing twin props to keep the boat from twisting down the lane. What kind of powerplant?

MGuckin

I am starting with a cast aluminum big block.<br />I don't intend to build encapsulated cockpit so that limits my class. <br />Aiming for Pro Comp Elimator.<br />No pleasure boating involved and I have no intentions of driving in circles either, strictly straight line, well hopefully ;) .

MGuckin

Wife just found out about my project when I was compiling a list of the parts for the boat.<br />What you mean $7000.00 for a drive with no props or motor??<br />Tried to explain about going over 120 mph on the water and the rest of project would only be about $15000.00. (Didn't tell her about the need for spare motor).<br />Thinks I am nuts. So,I am thinking top fuel now instead and I will prove it to her.<br />Got to sell my other boats first. Too many projects. Guess she is right. <br />She also insisted on life insurance upgrade.<br />Gotta ask my accountant if I can write it off as advertising.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Speed costs money.. How fast did you say you want to go??? My formula for the finished cost of a boat is to take the amount you think it will cost and multiply times 4... Thats the actual final cost... :eek:

MGuckin

How fast? As fast as I can.<br />Already done it many times with cars but not a boat.<br />From my funny car days it seemed it was a motor about every other race due to wear or intended improvements with the occasional blown one at a race, numerous trannys, many blowers, a few rear ends and a few shells. I had sponsors then. <br />This will definately be a challenge.

flashback

Captain

MG, best of luck man, never seriously raced a boat in my life except for sailboats.. but when I was 15 or 16, I built a scat cat hydroplane that would hit about 65mph with a 20hp merc, it was a blast...... still have the boat but the motor is long gone. as far as the wife goes, put a seat in there for her....... it will help .......