is this a Starcraft?

IHBBlondie

Recruit
Hi all, I'm Holly, new to the forum here - I apologize if I'm putting this question in the wrong section. :)

We just bought our first boat a couple of months ago, she ran beautifully for a while but of course the engine had to give up on us out on the water and now we're working on that (but that's a totally different question I'll post in the right section lol). It is registered as a "homemade" boat but after hearing the same question from people over and over, "is that a Starcraft??" and looking at a lot of your fantastic photos I was curious as to whether you thought it really was one. Any thoughts? Not that it necessarily makes a difference but the motor on it is a 72 Evinrude 50 hp Lark, and it came with a different Evinrude for parts (I think that one might be older but haven't checked it out completely yet).

Thanks for your input! Already got a ton of info from all of you and looking forward to learning more. :)

boat4.jpg
boat12.jpg
boat52.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: is this a Starcraft?

scan0035.jpg

scan0029.jpg

Although yours has laplines molded into the hull, and the 1972 pix above does not, it may be a Starcraft. Yours has clearly had some work done (note: lack of seats) it may make it tough to ID based on the interior, but length, transom height, beam @transom, max beam, motor capacity etc may lead you to which Starcraft it is....

Check these links for more details & pix:

Starcraft brochures

Starcraft

Welcome to iboats

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

The hull doesn't really look homemade. I wonder if someone needed to register/licence a boat that didn't have proper ownership papers available, so it became a "new" homemade boat. - Grandad

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The "homemade" designation may just mean the state assigned a HIN to an old boat so it fit the system. For the tinny in my sig I have a GA assigned HIN that begins "GAZ", even though I have all the original (from 1966) ID plate and paperwork. As the inspecting Ranger said I could be on the water now or wait till almost forever to register the boat using the original numbers. Ir was an out of state bill of sale purchase.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I agree GA, some states require the homemade designation for boats or trailers that don't have proper HIN/VIN & matching paperwork. Others keep the boat maker if it's known & just issue the HIN. All of my trailers are titled as homemade, got WV issued VIN. Some have makers logo & info clearly marking the trailer, but the foil sticker VIN is no longer present. Several boats have state issued HIN, but retained the original makers designation instead of being homemade...

Who ever thought that foil tags were a good idea on boats or trailers :confused:

Further evidence of planned obsolescence on the part of the boat & trailer makers?