Mercruiser Outdrive Wiring at the transom

TBI Guy

Recruit
I have spent two hours searching other threads, I hope I am not repeating something too current. I didn't find what I was looking for.

I just did engine rebuild in my 1986 Cobalt.
It has Mercruiser 230 and Alpha One.
Serial #A514135

I took lots of pictures, but apparently not enough.
All reinstalled with only ONE wire left over!! Not bad, but... where does it go?
There are several wires coming through the transom from the trim sensors in the outdrive.
Most of the wires route to the starboard and run fore to the helm.
One wire comes out and routes to the port. It is black wire with purple band at the ring tong.
The wire is fairly long, but I am not sure exactly where it connects???
By it's length, my guess is it is goes to (+) purple on the alternator for live 12v. when key is "on".
I suppose it could go to the (+) on the coil with the other two purple, but it is not in the picture I took originally.
The only thing I didn't photo was the back of the alternator, so I don't know?? None of the manuals I have show it.

Any ideas???

TBI Guy

Recruit
Re: Mercruiser Outdrive Wiring at the transom

Even though it is 11:00PM, I had to run out to the garage and take a look.
Whadda ya know... all the way on the right side was a loosened Phillips head screw holding a brn/wht wire.

Thank you kindly Fun Times.

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Outdrive Wiring at the transom

Even though it is 11:00PM, I had to run out to the garage and take a look.
Whadda ya know... all the way on the right side was a loosened Phillips head screw holding a brn/wht wire.

Thank you kindly Fun Times.
That's just the excitement working late with the rebuilt engine.:joyous: Ben there many times.:)