Boat leaning????

slj029

Recruit
Hey everyone...I have a question for you fellow boaters. I just recently bought a boat this past summer and love it! Let me start off by telling you what I have then my question. 1989 Wellcraft eclipse 19 1/2ft open bow with a four cylinder. So my question is...it leans? I mean when I take off it leans to the port side and it seems like when I plain out it still does it a little bit but not as bad. Now I've tried the weight distribution thinking maybe it wasn't weighted right? And my boat has a "whale tail" . So I thought maybe that would cause it? So I'm not sure what is causing it but it bothers the heck outta me. Would trim tabs help? Please any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boat leaning????

The torque from the rotating prop is the most likely suspect.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you implying that the boat leans to port at the dock but the lean lessens underway?
Pictures of the boat at rest will help gather answers. ;)

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

hi ! trim the drive up when on glide and it should run straight and level.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I once ordered a brand new Winner fibreglass boat that arrived with what looked to me an obvious twist in the hull with the starboard side about an inch and a half high. I refused to take delivery, but accepted a replacement that had the same deformity so I could use it for a planned vacation. I think it was from a twisted mould or sloppy manufacturing methods. With the boat on a trailer, stand behind it and sight across points that should be parallel fore and aft. Use 2 long straight boards if necessary across the foredeck and stern. If they are parallel, it's a performance issue from "prop torque" or damaged skeg as another retired guy suggested. Also, if the skeg is not absolutely vertical at right angle to the hull, the whale tail will tend to tip the boat when it gets on plane. - Grandad

tpenfield

Staff member

If it is a fairly deep V hull, then they are prone to that leaning stuff. . . That is what trim tabs are for, so maybe consider getting some, if you don't have them.

I used to add weight to the starboard side of my F-242 so that it would tend to counteract the prop torque and required less trim on the port side.

southkogs

Staff member

Sitting in the water, with you at the helm and no one else on board, does the boat still list/lean to the left?

jestor68

Commander

Perhaps there is more water logged foam on that side than the other?

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps there is more water logged foam on that side than the other?
This would be my guess, and because he has the whale tail on there, that tells be the boat already has problems with getting on plane, with a 4 cylinder that just doesn't add up. Check for soaked foam under the sole, maybe inspect the stringers, transom and floor or water intrusion.

slj029

Recruit

Thanks guys for all the input. The boat is a deep v hull but I'm not sure that would be it. Someone mentioned foam being soaked? Where would it be? As far a pictures I don't have any right now. And the skeg is the little fin on the bottom side of the outdrive right? When I bought the boat the side trim was loose and leaked water on that side. So maybe it is the foam? Thanks guys for all the help. Sorry for the late reply just working a lot but I do appreciate all the advice

southkogs

Staff member

...Someone mentioned foam being soaked? Where would it be? ... When I bought the boat the side trim was loose and leaked water on that side. So maybe it is the foam?
Foam just jumped to the top of the list of suspects: The boat hull will have foam under the deck with the stringers (sometimes even up in the gunwale). Since you were leaking water in the side, you've probably got water logged foam.

slj029

Recruit

So will I have to tear the floor up to replace it?

slj029 - you haven't confirmed if the boat leans ALL the time, or only when under way.
If it leans when moored, then foam is suspect - if only when moving, then it's something else.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thank god somebody is reeling this back in ^^^^^

if only when moving, then it's something else.
Prop torque and/or whale tail. Take the tail off. Restest. If she still lists to Port underway then get used to it or buy helm adjustable tabs. This assumes she sits level at rest.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Would there happen to be a soft spot in the deck on the same side the boat is listing to?

QC

Supreme Mariner

This is soooooo weird. We have a thousand threads about v-hulls listing to port underway. I don't recall any of them getting this stupid . . . :facepalm: Guys, this is like sorta normal ;)