Fuel leak out vent when cornering

wickers

Cadet
I own a 1981 skeeter with a 175 hp johnson. I noticed when driving down the road with a 3/4 full or more fuel tank in the boat, if I take a left hand corner fuel with spill out the fuel vent. This is on a built-in tank. Is there a valve I need to check for on the tank or the vent? I would think there should be a roll-over valve that shuts off when cornering. (or if you roll it)

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel leak out vent when cornering

There is no valve in the vent line. The vent line should be routed upward in a loop, then back down to the actual vent fitting on the hull. If the vent line makes a straight run to the fitting, centrifugal force is to blame for the straight shot out the fitting.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

true, and a straight vent line is a typical source of water intrusion into the fuel and motor. BTDT. Is your vent one that is under the rub rail? get it fixed or get a paddle!

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Had a similar issue with my boat this past summer. Boat was new to me and experienced fuel past the vent on fill ups or when under acceleration when it was a mostly full tank. Brought it up here and several mentioned experiening similar problems. I got the part shown at the link below and put it inline in the vent line. Took care of the problem on my boat.

Attwood Fuel Vent Line Surge Protector 1675-6 - iboats

wickers

Cadet

Thanks for everyone's input. As I just bought the boat this year, I have no idea of how the vent line is run. I will check it and if its a straight shot I'll get it changed. If that doesn't work then I'll try the surge protector that ihaveabrownboat suggested. ( By the way my boat is blue. :lol:)

I'll check it if I have time tomorrow and let ya'll know.

wickers

Cadet

Also the vent is on top of the side of the boat and it faces backwards so no water can get in while boating unless I sink her!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Also the vent is on top of the side of the boat and it faces backwards so no water can get in while boating unless I sink her!

Famous last words. My vent like that cost me a motor. Good luck.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

+1 I accidentally knocked my kill switch out once under power, and the wake came up over the stern and into the boat. It didn't cost me a motor (I switched tanks), but it easily could have...

wickers

Cadet

Yeah I guess I didn't think of that. Just gonna have to make sure I don't stop too soon!