trying to drain water from engine

Squeeky banana

Recruit
Just bought a 2001 tritoon with a 5.0 Gi. I've removed the manifold plugs and drained the hoses on both water pumps. I can't see the plugs that the manual says are toward the bottom of the risers. I can feel a small plug that is below the number 4 plug and another that is below the number 5 plug. Are these the plugs that drain the water out of the risers? Any help on this would be helpful. This is my first boat, first forum, first post, etc. I'm a rookie all the way around so any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: trying to drain water from engine

Are there letters after the "Gi" on your engine or is that it? Full model number would come in handy here. Are you talking about the drain plugs for the block? They are located on both sides of the engine towards the bottom underneath the spark plugs. They should be brass and easy to see if you stick your head down there and look.

Squeeky banana

Recruit

The Gi is on the plastic piece that covers the carb. Is there a tag on the engine itself? If so, where would it be? Yes sir. I'm trying to make sure I have all of the water out so it doesn't freeze and bust. That would be bad especially since I haven't gotten to take it out yet. I've tried to get my head in there to look but there isn't enough room between the engine and the compartment wall that it sits in. I can use a mirror and see. If the plugs are brass then that's the one I'm looking for, right? Another problem is that I'm working 300 miles from home but I can check tomorrow evening on the model number. In East Texas it doesn't get too cold for very long but I want to get to a point where draining the water is pretty quick and simple. There may be a weekend in January or February that the temp may get up in the 60s which would good enough for me to go out. Thanks again for the help and advice.

Squeeky banana

Recruit

It's a 5.0Gi PEFS. Thanks again guys. I was able to locate both plugs towards the bottom of the engine. The port side was in there pretty good. The starboard side had a tee with a water temp sending unit on there and the plug was on the branch of the tee. That makes four plugs all together. Thanks again and hope this helps someone else too.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That wasn't a water temp sender, it was a knock sensor.
Go to the link below
Publication search - Publications / Manuals : Volvo Penta

Type in your 5.0GiPEFS model number (NO Spaces) and download the owners manual. It gives directions and pictures of how to drain the cooling system.

Squeeky banana

Recruit

10-4. Thanks Don. Is that normal to have a set up like that? A tee with a plug in one side? That one had already been removed. I'm assuming it was for the water.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is that normal to have a set up like that?

Yes, it came like that from the factory.