85 9.8 mercury mystery part...

brian547

Cadet
hello all. so I took another members advice and got a service manual off ebay. one of the reasons I got the manual was to identify a part that was laying on the bottom of the case bottom. i could not find the part anywhere in the book. its this silver wire piece on the top. and the silver piece on the bottom i know where it goes but it just sort of sits in there, and seems as if it would fall out with vibration and what not.

pieces.JPG

if your looking at the transom mount, the part was found on the right bottom laying in the cover.

side motor pic.JPG

and as for the other smaller silver piece it connects to the throttle i think. but more so for the tiller handle, which i have remote cables so it shouldn't concern me right? sorry for all the questions.. Ive never worked with an outboard before. thanks guys.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 85 9.8 mercury mystery part...

I have a similar OB, I will take a look tonight after work & respond tomorrow.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The stainless curved wire is a lock use to hold a electrical conector together and the other could be the disconect lever for the shift linkage where it goes down to the LU of the motor.JMO
oldman570

brian547

Cadet

yep figured out where the small piece went last night when i got to looking at the remote cables. just gotta figure out that stainless curved wire your talking about, thanks guys.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The main electrical wire usaly has a plug together conection inside the motor that the curved wire is used to lock it together with. Look at the wire harness for that conection and the wire will fit lenght wise on it and slide over the rubber in groves and lock the connection together so it will not come apart while runnig. JMO
Oldman570

brian547

Cadet

Ah, I understand now. thank you so much oldman570!

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Brian547
What is the silver lever with the 2 pins in the first pic for. I have the same thing and I can figure it out. I think its for connecting a remote throtle cable.

brian547

Cadet

Brian547
What is the silver lever with the 2 pins in the first pic for. I have the same thing and I can figure it out. I think its for connecting a remote throtle cable.

Yep there's a plastic cylinder on te threaded part of the throttle cable with a hole in it that connects to that metal piece and te metal piece has a hole in it that sits in an arm that connects to the throttle and the end of the cable hooks onto the block to hold the cable in place.

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you think you could post some pics of where the battery leads connect to the motor? Also does yours have the starter button on the starbord side next to the shift lever?