Water Pump working properly on 1963 Evinrude 10 hp

jbsailor57

Cadet
If the water pump is working properly on this unit, shouldn't there be a stream of water coming out somewhere? All I see is some water coming out of the exhaust. If there should be a stream, where sould it come from? Starboard side? Port side? Back? Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water Pump working properly on 1963 Evinrude 10 hp

That early model (1963) does not have a water telltale outlet. Stop looking for it :)

What you should see is a good amount of water being shot out the exhaust relief hole which is about halfway down the long exhaust housing. Water should be shooting out that hole with quite a force.

jbsailor57

Cadet

Thanks, Joe. Glad to hear that. Will check it out.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

JB
If you see water, that's great.
But.... please don't use it as an excuse not to change out your impeller. Your motor has been sitting for 20 years. Rubber impellers can dry rot, and take a set (veins become firm, directional, and brittle). The impeller is a maintenance item that needs to be replaced every few years, or you risk trashing a perfectly good engine when the veins on a neglected impeller unexpectedly break. They're relatively cheap, and easy to replace. ;)

kfa4303

Banned

+1. No "pee stream" on these old gems. They just mix the cooling water with the exhaust gasses and spit them out the back of the motor. Also, be sure you only ever run the motor in a test tank with water filled up to about and inch, or two below the main exhaust port. Here's a vid of what to expect as well as a handy link.

1954 JOHNSON OUTBOARD QD-15 10 HP COLD START - YouTube (this is what you're looking for)

Johnson

Vintage Evinrude Johnson Outboard Parts & Diagrams - Catalog 379269

jbsailor57

Cadet

Many thanks Joe, Rogers, and kfa. I went home at lunch and tried it. Saw water coming out of the exhaust just like you said. Just watched the video and I am dead on for the amount of water coming out of the exhaust. Also, I did change the impeller; just wasn't sure how much water should be coming out and where. And I am testing in a trash can filled up to that point on the shaft. Now ... when I put her in forward and rev the engine, it just doesn't seem to throw as much water as I would think. So... putting it on a 14 ft. jon boat this weekend and I weigh about 180lbs. How fast should this baby push me in that 14 ft. jon boat? 10mph? 15mph? 20mph??

kfa4303

Banned

In a light weight jon boat with just you on board, you can expect somewhere around +/-15 mph, but that will drop as you add people and gear. You might be able to get up to 20 mph on a very small, light weight boat like a 10'-12' skiff, or Gheenoe. You'll also have to experiment with the best trim/tilt setting, motor height and where you sit in the boat. OMC motors of this era has sort of an odd leg length of 18", so they tend to cause a bit of excess drag when mounted on a standard 15" transom. However, you can simply clamp the motor higher on the transom and/or build a small transom riser, which is what I did. You want the anti-vent plate, found just above the propeller, to be level, or slightly higher than the keel (bottom) of the boat. I also use a PVC tiller extender which allows me to stand while underway as well as shift my weight around in the boat to get the best performance. Unfortunately, there's no magic formula, you just have to do lots of trial and error until you get your rig dialed in. Good luck. Keep us posted. We love pics ;)

jbsailor57

Cadet

Got it. Thanks, kfa. Will circle back with y'all next week.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Also, I did change the impeller; just wasn't sure how much water should be coming out and where. And I am testing in a trash can filled up to that point on the shaft.

Good to hear... :)
Some of the other new guys that come here seeking advice for an old, or unfamiliar motor will say; "I see water coming out, so I don't need to change the impeller". Hence why most of us press the issue...

Hard to say exactly what speeds you are going to see, but I think kfa is in the ballpark if your motor is installed correctly, and properly tuned.

jbsailor57

Cadet

Hey Joe, Rogers, and kfa - Took the motor out on our 14' jon boat. Got 'er up to 20 mph with just me in the boat. 16 mph with another guy in the boat weighing 180 lbs. also. So I think it's safe to say this little gem is running like a charm. Thanks for all your help and info. Will circle back with you guys if I have any other issues. Which I'm sure I will since I also own a 1967 6-hp Evinrude that I keep on our 22' sailboat. She's a gem, too.

kfa4303

Banned

SWEEET! Congrats on the sea trial. 20 mph is pretty dang good for a little 10 hp too.