merc 1975 L6 CDI brand trigger disc question.

verno

Seaman Apprentice
When using a CDI trigger body, do you have to have the steel trigger disc from CDI or will a brass one work in the CDI trigger body?

I have one in my shop that has a bent steel trigger disc and do not have another steel disc to put on it.

I do not see the steel discs listed on any websites for CDI parts, only that they come with a new trigger housing.

What's the facts on this?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: merc 1975 L6 CDI brand trigger disc question.

You can use the brass one just make sure its turned the correct direction...

emckelvy

Commander

The installation sheet for the 134-3736 trigger states:

"NOTICE: THIS TRIGGER REQUIRES THE STEEL DISK INCLUDED WITH IT. IT WILL NOT WORK WITH THE FACTORY DISK!!"

Here's an excerpt from the replacement instructions:

"9. Discard the old trigger disk, saving the old disk spacer (between the disk and bearing). YOU MUST USE THE NEW STEEL
DISK!"

The latest trigger assemblies use a Hall Effect sensor which requires a ferrous trigger disk. Don't think the old-style copper disc will even make it spark. You could try it and see what happens, I suppose.

But if it came with a steel disc it would make sense that the replacement should be steel as well.

Check out the description for the part, here at iboats:

Mercury Marine 134-3736 Trigger - CDI Electronics - iboats

You can go here to look up the installation instructions:

cdielectronics.com/InstallSheet/

You might try contacting CDI Technical Support and maybe they'll sell you a new steel disc separately.

cdielectronics.com/Contact.aspx

HTH & G'luck with the repairs.......ed

frankenmerc

Seaman

When using a CDI trigger body, do you have to have the steel trigger disc from CDI or will a brass one work in the CDI trigger body?

Good question i had the same question on my mind just in reverse order ,i have an old 6cyl distributor and purchased an N.O.S . trigger in the box for a 4 cylinder that i am putting together.
well i had bought a new CDI trigger about 2 years ago for a IL-6 I have and it came with a ferrous 4 and 6 window disk for either application and was thinking about using the 4 on the old style trigger that i just bought.
i have decided against it and picked a complete older distributor on ebay because i need a cap and wires anyway.
you may get lucky and find someone that bought a cdi for a 4 cyl and dont need the 6cyl disk that it would come with and sell it to you.
calling cdi is probabally your best bet.
merc #1

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I stand corrected as I have never used the CDI replacement body only their repair and returns...

verno

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a bunch Ed. I will give them a shout.

verno

Seaman Apprentice

That's Ok faztbullet, thanks for trying.

Heck if I can make one of the early seventies 1150 switchboxes run on an old 1100 with points , for a full summer season so far, the factory disc might just work on that CDI trigger, I'm gonna find out anyway. heh he!

Nuttin ventured nuttin gained, i say.