fiberglass question

bp1313

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey,

I'm rebuilding an old larson 68 and I've got most of the inside torn out. The hull is almost done being ground and I'm looking at the lip that's left over from the deck removal. The question is...

Is it okay to leave the lip where it is and not grind down to the hull glass prior to installing the new deck? The reason I ask is because the lip is almost an inch high in spots and it's a very tough grind. I was going to clean it up, but leave about an inch wide lip for the new deck to rest on. The lip is the old peanut butter that was used when the last deck was put in place. Will the peanut butter I use adhere to this lip without issue? I'm going to grind the sides of the boat up 6 inches or so for a fresh surface, but I'm going to put a layer of peanut butter down before I place the deck boards in place.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch for all the helpful people here!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: fiberglass question

From your 1968 Larson rebuild thread:
Pix?

You could try using one of these:
Multitool.jpg

Some remove it for several reasons, I did solely so that when I re-deck the FireFlite, I don't have anything but my own work between the edge of the deck, the PB fillet & the fiberglass tabbing..... Other's leave it for several reasons, often to have a target deck height to match, to prevent an accidental thru hull slice (multitool will reduce it's likelihood, but won't prevent it :doh:) and because it's more work.

If you read thru some resto threads, you'll see both...

So..... your boat, your choice ;)

bp1313

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks JB. sorry...didn't even know that was there :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nah, better to ask & remember, then, well, ya know..
oops.gif

bp1313

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LOL. I remembered my post :) I just didn't see your latest response.