Removing a 351B engine to repair a rod knock: Coral Restoration Foundation

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer
Today I got a call from the CRF, Coral Restoration Foundation, to come and listen to their boat. They have been told that their engine is "blown" and Ken wanted me to come down and give a listen. I first checked the oil level and we had to add a couple of quarts. However, once started, the knock was obvious and there can be no doubt that a rod bearing has gone AWOL on the starboard engine.

While I have 30+ years experience in the automotive field, I have only worked on a half dozen boats and have only pulled the engine out of one. It's a Volvo Penta transmission with a 351B (Ford???) engine. The boat was built in 94 or 96 and was recently given to them. The engines are mounted amidships and they don't look that intimidating. However, I would still like a manual on them and any pointers about what to look for as I pull the engine and go through it. I know enough to only use marine parts, to change the oil and water pumps and to keep things CLEAN. What don't I know that will bite me in the butt here? Your wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Removing a 351B engine to repair a rod knock: Coral Restoration Foundation

Can you get the Volvo serial numbers, or full model numbers off the engines? I have links to some manuals, just not sure which ones you need.

PS: Sent you a PM as well.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

In case you aren't sure where to look for the numbers, go here How to identify your engine or drive
The tags are obvious Don. They are right on the air filters. I just couldn't read them. I'll head out there tonight or tomorrow with a magnifying glass and see if that will make it possible.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

In case you aren't sure where to look for the numbers, go here How to identify your engine or drive
I finally got back to the boat and took the air cleaner cover off. With a bit of careful cleaning (Windex) I was able to glean these very light numbers:

501B 3T
B6B537 (or B6B587)

Does this help ID the pig?

While I would not mind rebuilding this engine, I think they would be better served with a long block. The boat is in the water and I'm sure we'll have to pull it out to pull the engine. The time/money saved waiting for the crank, block and heads to come back would probably be more than that saved by doing it myself. Again, I am donating my time to help out the Coral Restoration Society and want to keep their outlay to a minimum. I would rather them put their money into their coral nursery and getting more plantings out on our reefs.

Don S

Does this help ID the pig?

Absolutely it helps.
The 501B is a 5.0L Chevy V8 used from 91 to 93. PARTS Diagrams

The 4100140720 is the Volvo serial number.

Punch the SN in here for an owners manual, there is some info in it as well.
http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

Here is the manual for the engine, AQ211 thru 572 - Download - 4shared - Don S . but it's not going to give you any info for removing it.
With an inboard, it's best to remove the engine and transmission as an assembly, just disconnect the coupler on the back of the transmission.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys... I'll have to look again, as it really didn't remind me of a GM 350 block.

Don S

Thanks guys... I'll have to look again, as it really didn't remind me of a GM 350 block.

All that information is for the numbers you gave. We can't see the engine, and it may have a cover with the numbers on it from a 501, and it could be a Ford engine. We can only give information to what we see. and so far, the only thing I see is a bunch of numbers.

Just like your boat, Merc didn't use old Volvo drives and Volvo didn't use Merc engines with their drives. Without pictures we still wouldn't know what you have.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Pulling motors on an inboard????
It could be as simple as taking it apart in pieces. Then reinstalling it the same way.Not really simple!!!

Or if a big forklift is available? One that they use to put boats in the water?
Like Don says pics are needed.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, there's a ladder in the way as well. It can mostly be unbolted, but there is one spot that is welded. I'll get pics in the next day or so.