Furuno Radar

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, The Furuno Radar system that I have seems to work in all aspects except the radar.
The GPS, Fish finder, Sounder, Navigation all work. I have taken the cover off the radar and the antenna is rotating.
The display is not displaying anything.
I have read the manual, adjusted this and that but still nothing. :confused:

Can some one point me in the right direction? I am on a 29k acre lake, don't really need it but the darn thing is there, is should work!!

Any help will be appreciated. If I could just find someone who can work on it and teach me a little about it that would be great!! :happy:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Furuno Radar

What model? How old? Domes have a life expectancy

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What model? How old? Domes have a life expectancy

Thanks for helping.

It is a Model 1722c. I assume it was installed with the boat and that would make it a 2001 Model. The Operator's Manual that I have for it is dated April 2001, so almost 12 years old.
Everything works on it just fine except the radar. I have taken the dome off and the antenna rotates, the display screen shows the mileage lines but just does not show anything on the screen.
I could be that I have it our of "tune" if you will but I have very limited knowledge on how a boat/surface radar works. If it was an aircraft, I would be be good to go.

Boydski

Seaman Apprentice

the antenna rotates, the display screen shows the mileage lines but just does not show anything on the screen.

This might be a dumb question, but have you shifted the unit from Standby to Transmit? Most Radars start in STBY mode, with the antenna rotating and a blank screen because it is not actually transmitting. I believe your 1722c should have a RADAR STBY soft key that should be pushed to highlight TX.

Good Luck,

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This might be a dumb question, but have you shifted the unit from Standby to Transmit? Most Radars start in STBY mode, with the antenna rotating and a blank screen because it is not actually transmitting. I believe your 1722c should have a RADAR STBY soft key that should be pushed to highlight TX.

Good Luck,

Scott, the only dumb question is the unasked question.
Yes, I have tried that but could it be that it takes a long time to warm up? I am not sure that I left in on for an extended time to get it going.
I will try that and report back.

Thanks again. Seems like not a lot of people know/understand/give a crap about radar on here! LOL:D

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks again. Seems like not a lot of people know/understand/give a crap about radar on here! LOL:D
Look at the demographics of the site. Not many sporting $3K radar systems. :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is one thing about radar that you are missing. There are no owner repairable parts inside a marine radar unit. A qualified repair shop is your best bet, but most just remove the units and send them to Furuno for repair.
If you have good power and ground going to the unit, and all the connections are clean, then it's time to send it in and get it fixed.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is one thing about radar that you are missing. There are no owner repairable parts inside a marine radar unit. A qualified repair shop is your best bet, but most just remove the units and send them to Furuno for repair.
If you have good power and ground going to the unit, and all the connections are clean, then it's time to send it in and get it fixed.

That does seem to be the best solution. Thanks!
Just trying to force myself not to do it. It is one of those things, Don't need it but it is there and should work!!
Like I need it on a 29K acre lake when you can see from one side to the other!!
I'm just anal like that! Oh well.......

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about at night or in heavy fog or rain?

It had better come on super quick. I am at the most 20 minutes from the marina at the furthermost part of the lake.
Been here for over 20 years and it just doesn't get that bad that fast.
I can see it for sure out on a large body of water but here? Nah!:)

NYBo

Admiral

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Safety first! ;)

UncleWillie

Captain

Here is a simple test.

Hold a neon bulb or small fluorescent lamb tube right next to the dome.
Just the bare bulb in your hand, Yes, it sounds like magic!
The bulb will Light/Flash each time the dome comes around if the transmitter is actually transmitting.
You may need to do this at night to see it.

Transmitter working but still no picture? The Receiver is dead.

It won't fix anything but at least you can impress the repair guy when you can correctly say the Tx or the Rx is dead

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I sure wouldn't be spending a lot of money to fix something that I would never use. Besides navigating blind by radar alone is not as easy as you might think, it takes practice, to do it right. A lot of time, you can see blips moving on a screen, but unless you know where you are in relation to those blips, you won't know if they are another boat or a buoy.