Lower unit not square after ram replacement

tomjode

Recruit
Hello,<br /><br />I have a 1986 Celebrity 190 bowrider with an Alpha 1.<br /><br />I removed both tilt/trim cylinders. The lower unit was supported with a rope during the procedure. <br /><br />I reinstalled the aft(closest to hull)cylinders first with no problem. Then when I went to install the forward portion of the cylinders I noticed that the port side cylinder appeared crooked and the shaft that runs through both cylinders would not make it through. After working the cylinder in/out I was able to get the shaft in and the bolts on without any binding. <br /><br />When I had the nuts snugged in I notice that the lower unit has a slight lean to port. To clarify, if I draw a line down the center of the gimbal housing and lower unit, the lower unit appears to be cocked very slightly left of center. <br /> <br />I have not tightened the bolts all the way to the washers yet because I am concerned that somehow I have screwed something up!<br /><br />The shafts do not feel like they are binding.<br />Also they slid right through both cylinders nicely.<br /><br />Am I seeing things?<br /><br />Will the unit square up when I finish tightening the nuts?<br /><br />Any help or thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.<br /><br />Thank you<br />Tom

tommays

Admiral
Re: Lower unit not square after ram replacement

Unless there is a lose or worn part in the Gimble or bellhouseing it cant really even move like that<br /><br />With the cylinders off if you tryed to move the drive left and right it really should have very littel play<br /><br /><br />tommays

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Is the boat sitting level on the trailer?<br />Otherwise, what Tom said, but it only bolts on one way, you're are probably seeing things :) .....JK

tomjode

Recruit

Sure enough , all is well! It must have been the way it is sitting on the trailer....
I can only imagine what I would have seen if I was in an altered state!!!

Thanks
Tom