Any heating and cooling guys out there?

southkogs

Staff member
Got the news today ... my main floor heating/cooling unit has pretty much given up the ghost :eek: I trust the guy who looked at it for me (he's worked on our stuff a couple of times, and has excellent references), and he says it could be repaired (condenser problems - I'll get specifics tomorrow) but the cost of the repair would likely be more than half the cost of a new install.

I know little to nothing about HVAC, and budget is a bit of an issue right now (didn't really plan on blowing a unit out :rolleyes:)

He's working up some suggestions for me, but I'm wondering if there are any opinions out there: He mentioned Aries by Lennox. I've read some reviews on these units (unfavorable), but several said it's really about the install. I think I understand that the warranty we'd get is lifetime on the unit (as long as we own the house).

Any thoughts from pros out there?

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Any heating and cooling guys out there?

As a 15 year veteran commercial/industrial technician I wouldn't recommend Lennox to my worst enemy...If cost is an issue especially...Need to know more about what is wrong with your current unit...Also the type of unit helps...Sounds like it is a heat pump...As long as the coil itself was good I could rebuild an entire condenser for way less then 1/2 the cost of a whole system...Then again it cost me < $2200 to replace my 3 1/2 and 4 ton split systems in my house two years ago...Street price on that is over $11K...Most of the cost of anything is labor and markup...:eek:

bigdee

Commander

The key is to find a reputable and competent installer. Ask around,check with friends,look up local dealers and read reviews. I just replaced a 40 year old Lennox with a Goodman heatpump. I used a very good dealer who sells Trane,York and Goodman. His lowest quote was with Goodman. They all had a ten year warranty. I asked him which brand gave him the most call backs and he said it was about equal across the board. He also said that he had a reputation to protect and he would not sell a brand that cost him money or lost customers. In my family we have 6 Goodman heatpumps that have all been reliable.

southkogs

Staff member

Thanks for the responses so far. Okay - some more and better info:

Current unit is a 16 year old Goodman that hasn't given us a lick of trouble over the years. The bearings in the boiler motor have locked up, the flame rollout switch is tripped and I've got holes/cracks in my heat exchanger. He said that the part cost on the exchanger itself is near about $1,300 and by the time we get it in and fix the bearings I'm probably in the $2k range for the repair.

He's making the recommendation that we put a new unit in. The repairs would be better than half the cost of a new unit, and the warranty on a new unit will be much better. He mentioned the Ariease by Lennox yesterday, but only because of price and the fact that the warranty really isn't any different. BUT - he actually recommends a Heil unit.

His favored proposal is a Heil 2 ton, 13 SEER unit (10 year parts warranty, lifetime on the heat exchanger - well, as long as we own the house). Installed and running about $3,400.

I really trust this guy actually, and just want some "due diligence" into this. Let me know if you smell any "crazy" in that pile.

Thanks for the responses - It's very helpful!

bigdee

Commander

<<nudge>> ;)

Is this a self contained gas pack or a split system? You said "boiler" I did not know Goodman made boilers. I had my 2 ton AC system and electric furnace replaced with a Goodman 13 seer heatpump and 10 kw electric furnace for $2800 1 year warranty on the installation,parts and labor and ten years on ALL parts.

southkogs

Staff member

Is this a self contained gas pack or a split system?
Self contained gas pack.

You said "boiler" I did not know Goodman made boilers.
He called it a boiler, but said there were several names for it when he wrote it down for me. This is a gas unit sittin' on a concrete slab next to the house.

I had my 2 ton AC system and electric furnace replaced with a Goodman 13 seer heatpump and 10 kw electric furnace for $2800 1 year warranty on the installation,parts and labor and ten years on ALL parts.
My neighbor had his Goodman replaced last year and it was closer to $5,000 - 2 ton, new slab, new air handler. I've heard that Goodman is the low end of the pool, but mine went better than 16 years and didn't give us any trouble. It just up and died, though.

Thanks bigdee.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the responses so far. Okay - some more and better info:

Current unit is a 16 year old Goodman that hasn't given us a lick of trouble over the years. The bearings in the boiler motor have locked up, the flame rollout switch is tripped and I've got holes/cracks in my heat exchanger. He said that the part cost on the exchanger itself is near about $1,300 and by the time we get it in and fix the bearings I'm probably in the $2k range for the repair.

He's making the recommendation that we put a new unit in. The repairs would be better than half the cost of a new unit, and the warranty on a new unit will be much better. He mentioned the Ariease by Lennox yesterday, but only because of price and the fact that the warranty really isn't any different. BUT - he actually recommends a Heil unit.

His favored proposal is a Heil 2 ton, 13 SEER unit (10 year parts warranty, lifetime on the heat exchanger - well, as long as we own the house). Installed and running about $3,400.

I really trust this guy actually, and just want some "due diligence" into this. Let me know if you smell any "crazy" in that pile.

Thanks for the responses - It's very helpful!

If I am reading this correct, you get a new furnace and all the AC parts except perhaps the lineset replaced for $3400?

Get more estimates if you want to. I paid more than that for a 2.5 ton all new AC -lineset intalled into an existing furnace. I would jump on that deal before he changes his mind.

I also had 2 rental units done this year with about the same as your specs; all new with lineset 5500 and 5800.

southkogs

Staff member

I could not find any quotes on Heil but here a comparable Goodman Goodman R410A 13 SEER Packaged Gas Electric 2 Ton Multiposition GPG1324070M41 So it looks like the installer is giving you a fair price. The combination of 50% markup and labor and warranty support sounds normal. Being a packaged unit the installation should be less than a split system.

THANK YOU. I actually really trust this guy, having worked with him before (and he's got a good reputation).

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

My cost on the unit bigdee linked is $850.00 for a 2 ton gas pack...Don't know what actual heil unit you are looking at....:eek:

Just talking unit cost...wholesale, before markup, parts, labor, and anything else...

bigdee

Commander

My cost on the unit bigdee linked is $850.00 for a 2 ton gas pack...Don't know what actual heil unit you are looking at....:eek:

Just talking unit cost...wholesale, before markup, parts, labor, and anything else...

Yeah,I know....but that price is untouchable unless your a licensed contractor. Online prices sound good until you factor in everything. Plus Goodman will not honor the warranty for DIY installations unless you can get a licensed dealer to give you a notarized statement claiming the installation had been done properly...good luck with that!

southkogs

Staff member

I went ahead with the Heil and pulled the trigger on Friday. Anything that I can find (talking here, to some friends and coupla' other quotes) told me I wasn't being taken for a ride price wise, Heil should be in the same or better category than Goodman (which is what I had), and I like the guy who I have installing it (as in, I trust him to do good business).

We should be in good shape. Thanks for the assist fellas.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heil is exactly on par with goodman...They are all low end brands...Heil,goodman, payne, bryant, ICP, rheem, ruud, comfort maker, and temp star...They are all pretty much the same as far as quality...The HVAC industry hasn't changed in 50 years though...They still do the same thing the same way...All manufacturers have a low, middle, and high end unit...Its just that Trane, and Carriers' high end is better then anyone else...

A units job is to move heat from one place to another, if it does that and its cost effective and you like the price you paid for it then its all good...:eek:

bigdee

Commander

Heil is exactly on par with goodman...They are all low end brands...Heil,goodman, payne, bryant, ICP, rheem, ruud, comfort maker, and temp star...They are all pretty much the same as far as quality...The HVAC industry hasn't changed in 50 years though...They still do the same thing the same way...All manufacturers have a low, middle, and high end unit...Its just that Trane, and Carriers' high end is better then anyone else...

A units job is to move heat from one place to another, if it does that and its cost effective and you like the price you paid for it then its all good...:eek:

Well said.....and from a person that knows the business.

southkogs

Staff member

Cool (pun intended :eek:) ... Thanks for all the advice. It's funny how little one knows about this stuff, yet you use it everyday. It's great to tap into the knowledge base y'all have.