Honda BF50 Water pump mounting

islander20

Recruit
Recently I noticed that gear oil was leaking from a weep hole below the water pump. I took the lower unit apart and replaced the seal under the water pump as well as the impeller and gaskets. The seal was melted on, was very frustrating removing it.

Anyways as I was re attaching the water pump housing to the lower unit I noticed the manual called for two different sized spacer/collars to be used on the front and back of the water pump, 8mm and 20mm. However all of my collars are 8mm and I am fairly certain that I am the first person to ever work on the lower unit. Is the manual wrong here? 20mm collars don't seem like they would even fit here.

Also when I re attached the water pump I used the force created by screwing it down to push the seal down into place. Was this correct? There was a slight bit of flex noticeable at the base on one side of the water pump. I'm worried this might prevent the gasket from sealing there...any thoughts? This is my first time working on the lower unit and I just want to make sure I did everything correctly.

Thanks!

smilndawg

Recruit
Re: Honda BF50 Water pump mounting

I have a 115 honda outdoard and did some research on the subject. The manual stated that three tools are needed to install/ remove the seals.Part #'s 07936-3710600,07936-3710200, and 07936-3710100.The pic's were not very good so I am not sure if they are something that can be made or found laying around the basement. I have not started the project yet I am waiting for more info on the tools. I am sure you will see oil/water mix in the lower unit if the seals fail,