CDI Box or Stator on 1983 Suzuki DT140

tkamboat

Cadet
Cranked my boat up on the ears to winterize and after 5 minutes of running stabilizer she cut off. Did everything I could to start the boat back up with no luck. Took it to a repair shop and paid $75 for this diagnosis:

Checked out and found no spark from ignition coils. Control box controls ok, all wiring ok. Need to check further to determine if CDI box or Stator/startup coil assemblies are functional.

Kinda ticks me off to pay $75 and not know which one is wrong (said it would cost further labor $ to decide which one). So I went and picked it up see what I could do with it. Can someone lead me in the right direction on how to diagnose it myself, I know exactly where both parts are on the motor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: CDI Box or Stator on 1983 Suzuki DT140

What the hell kind of a dlr did you take it to ?? As working on outboards for 40 yrs plus, I've never heard of such a thing. If you can't fix it yourself, find another dealer. I'm an old OMC person and I wish I could help you out but can't. Good Luck !!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

sounds like you need a service manual to troubleshoot your ignition system and that old of a motor may be a problem with brownspoint.com not available anymore.

Normally you measure the peak voltages from coils under flywheel and then to the ignition coils to make sure they are to minimum spec like the manual states. With out the specs and which wires to hook to it is going to be a problem.

Did you check your kill switch to make sure it is in place?

tkamboat

Cadet

Yes the kill switch is in place. I'm going to order the Clymer service manual....and yes I'm very concerned with brownspoint being destroyed by the hurricane!!! I'll be scared to order used parts off ebay if I get desperate enough. This motor runs like a brand new one so hopefully I'll be able to find parts.