deck door dual pane glass replacement?

ezbtr

Commander
Well I got just about all the little broken pieces out on outside pane and the other pane is fine, but seems they both sealed and installed as a unit into door(that is foam filled)?? Do I need to cut through sealant on outside? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20121124-00219.jpg
    IMG-20121124-00219.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20121124-00214.jpg
    IMG-20121124-00214.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20121124-00216.jpg
    IMG-20121124-00216.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: deck door dual pane glass replacement?

I will bet that that door glass is tempered. You will probably have to purchase a full replacement glass. I have done them in doors before and the replacement package came with the grids installed. Go to a local building supply house. There should be screws under the grid edges and rtv sealant that also holds stuff in place

Yup it's foam filled and the glass is also double pane insulated with an air pocket.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Few years ago had a big chunk of hail bust a door window. Wanted to do the repair myself but when I priced the safety glass it cost more than a new door. I put in a whole new door.

ezbtr

Commander

yeah, I'll go to Home Depot to price out glass vs new door! :)

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Aha! Finally something I can chime in on. In MN, I would get this piece of Clear Tempered Insulated Glass (or a patio glass IG Unit) at cost for about $100. That was going directly to the manufacturer in town to pick it up and install it myself but you would need to provide your own measurements.

Remember it's W X H X O.A. (or overall glass thickness, you will need a micrometer to mesasure this, or some creativity by removing the glazing beeds that hold the glass in and then using a piece of marked carboard to obtain glass thickness).

It's most-likely 7/8" or 1" O.A. Measurement. Look for Glass Manufacturers near you, and the biggest one isn't going to be the cheapest.

EDIT, that piece of glass should actually be cheaper because its not as large as a full width SLIDING patio glass piece. They usually price the glass by United Inch.

tpenfield

Staff member

Isn't home ownership great ?!?!

I busted the tempered gas on my slider quite a few years ago. I called a local glass company and they came out, measured and had the whole double glass unit (tempered/sealed/etc) made and then replaced it for me. I think they even billed right to the home owner's insurance.

Tempered is a must for glass that goes low to the floor.