Hard steering at cruise speed

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 77 Searay SRV220 that is an absolute bear to steer while at crusing speed. It has an OMC outdrive model# 990240E. It will turn fairly easy to port, but steering to starboard has to be strong armed... An ideas or is this normal? Power or hydraulic steering perhaps?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hard steering at cruise speed

You have OMC, then that a'int an 888 at all, 'cept for the 302, maybe.....JK

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hi Kevin, <br /><br />If you don't have an OMC manual you might want to get one.<br /><br />My OMC Cobra manual talks about trim tab adjustment for manual steering. If it's hard to steer in one direction but easy in the other a small adjustment in the "easy" direction will fix it. If it's easy to turn to port but hard turning to starbord move the tab slightly to port and vice versa.<br /><br />Pick a speed you like to run because it will be somewhat speed dependent.<br /><br /><br />Cheers, <br /><br />Rick

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jammer18 / JK

No this is not an 888. My Larson 21ft is an 888 with a 302. This boat I bought so I could see some water until I can get the Larson finished. This boat is a Searay 22ft with a 351 and OMC.

Rick, Thanks for the reply. I have the fixed trim on this model. It has Bennett Trim Tabs which work fairly well as far as "bow up, bow down, ect...
It doesn't matter what speed I'm cruising even at lower speeds ...15mph same situation. I have an OMC service manual that says under speed loads, it will experience harder steering. I guess my question should be,.....Should it really be that hard to steer at speed? After a few hours at the lake, I feel like I've been pumping Iron all day...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Possibly the cable is dragging somewhere. If it's fixed trim is it a power steering model? If so it's really starting to sound like a dragging cable or something binding in the actuator.

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

H32,

This model is not power steering. I was thinking I might need to go that way if this is normal. The cable seems fine, and at idle it will turn both directions with just the tip of a finger. It's only when it under laod that I experience hard steering to starboard.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Adjust the trim tab under the cavitation plate. It should be considerably over to the right as you are standing looking forward at the outdrive.

NoName

Cadet

A bit off topic, but here's a picture of me after a day of boating with my 888. Luckily it doesn't run long enough for me to get a real workout.

muscles.jpg

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can see that your right side is bigger than the left. This is a bad situation. Fix the boat before it gets worse.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

id have to agree with lockan, adjust the shark tooth lookin thing! right behind the prop on the outdrive housing.

DAMIFINO

Cadet

I had a prpoblem like that and my steering was pulling to the starboard, and turning in one direction was really hard
to do aand the faster I went the harder it got.
when I went to change gear oil I saw the trim tab was turned about 3/8 off center I straightened it and was fine.after that.