Water in Lower Unit?

dreamen

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2001 135 Opti Max, when we drained the lower unit the oil was milky so I have been told that is because of water leaking in. I have looked at a parts diagram of lower unit and I see one large ORing. I have new seals on the drain plugs so I do not believe that water is getting in there. Anyone have any ideas?? If it is the large oring how easy is that to change. Is it something I can do myself? I replaced the rubber impeller in it last spring and that was not a problem. Does the cover come off around the shaft to take out the lower gears to change that oring? I just cannot believe that that would be bad? Motor does not sit in the water when stored only when in use. I appreciate your help
Thanks

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water in Lower Unit?

I belive it may be the seal at our water pump think I 'd check there frist good luck

dreamen

Seaman Apprentice

That is higher on the motor and when we replaced the rubber impeller we replaced all the gaskets. Everything was clean and smooth, no nicks or dings and went back together well. Hate to take it apart again. Would have to replace the gaskets again.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Dropping the lower unit is just a 5 minute job. A seal kit is maybe $75 or $80, but to get a dealership to do it could cost you $300+ labor.

You'll want to put in all new seals--while you're at it. You can see how to put seals on a lower unit many places on UTube.com. There's another seal behind the propeller. Some will drill small holes in the seals, and use a dent pick or a small slide hammer to pop them out. They'll install the seals with a hammer and a socket the size of the seal.

When I changed the lower unit oil in my new Yamaha, the OEM grease was creamy looking--but no water. You're looking for bubbles and other signs of water and too many metal shavings. I like to drain all my grease into a glass container and watch to see if any water separates out of the oil.

After you change the seals, take it to a dealership or good boat mechanic for another pressure/vacuum test. Then, replace the lower unit grease until it oozes out the hole and replace the plugs.

dreamen

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info, there was no water in the lower unit or metal shavings, just the creamy oil? I drain 2 other motors and both of them come out as just oil. I hate to go thru all of this and it does not solve the problem?

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

The seal for the water pump are under the impeller. if you drop the lower unit and air pressor into the where you put your grease about 5PSI you you will be able to see it leak with a small srop and water you will have to remove the water pump to check the seals. if it is leaking from the prop you will nornal see oil, hope this help you .you tube dose show you how it's a great show
That is higher on the motor and when we replaced the rubber impeller we replaced all the gaskets. Everything was clean and smooth, no nicks or dings and went back together well. Hate to take it apart again. Would have to replace the gaskets again.

M

Maxz695

Heres a picture of the o ring under the water pump base. Be gentle when trying to wedge it up off the studs. The driveshaft cannot be removed fro above the propshaft would have to come out for the. and isn,t nessecary. I,ll also include a picture of the shift shaft bushing and seal DO NOT REMOVE THE SHIFT SHAFT. View attachment 175735View attachment 175736View attachment 175737