Daysailer Rebuild

bjurcina

Cadet
Hello folks

I have used this site consistently in the past and think its a great forum so I just wanted to give back by sharing my project with the community. Hopefully others will either find this story helpful or at least interesting.

This time last year I was deep into rebuilding an old Paceship P17 daysailer that had probably should have been scrapped. It was advertised on our local internet classifieds which here in Canada is called Kijiji. I`m sure many of you are familiar. The add had one picture and stated that the owner would sell for a good price. He was asking $1400 and the picture showed the mast, rigging and sails all laying in a pile in the boat and the boat laying on the ground. I assumed it was a good boat and that the owner had just gotten tired of it and didn`t want to bother with it. I let it sit for a week or 2 while a rounded up a friends trailer. After calling him to see if it was still available and negotiating a price over the phone, he was willing to take $500.

Funny how hard it is to think objectively when you think you`re getting a deal and it`s something you`ve been after for a while. I was a little skeptical when he agreed to sell it for $500 so I asked him again if it had any holes or needed any major repairs. He said `She`s as fine as kind`which is a local saying meaning it`s in great shape.

When we finally got out to look at it, it was obvious that wasn`t the case. It was sitting with the nose up and the plugs out of the stern and when I tried to move it and get a sense of how heavy it was, I couldn`t budge it. It weighed a ton and I guessed at that time that it was water logged. By this time I had already invested a bit of time and effort plus I was looking forward to bring home a new project but my mind was screaming run away! I offered $400 thinking he`ll refuse and I can walk away. Remember, he was origionaly asking $1400. He countered and I explained that $400 was the best I would do and that I was actually hoping he wouldn`t take it. At that point he accepted and away I went. We drug it up onto the trailer and strapped it down and tied up the loose rigging. The hull actually seemed quite solid and although it was quite heavy I was thinking it might not be too bad. Time would tell.

Long story short, the floor was very soft and the main ribs were rotted. My first thought was to patch it up cheep and just let the kids play with it in the lake. If it sank or ran aground then no big deal. Using a mirror and trouble light I looked down under the floor towards the stern and could see 2 large blobs that looked like spray foam used to support the rear deck area. Knowing this I couldn`t just leave it and decided to separate the deck from the hull and fix the entire thing properly. It would be something I hadn`t done before and although it would be a lot of work I needed a distraction anyway.

Below are some pictures as I got started. I wish I had gotten some pics of the foam they had in there. It was amazing how well the spray foam gripped the two haves of the hull together. After sitting for a month or more in a dry warm garage with air being pumped through the hull to dry it out, the foam was still dripping wet and very heavy. I`ll add more later and explain my process and what I did. It wasn`t a professional job and there are things I could have done.

When it came home
01 P17 - .jpg

Fitting it in the garage
02 Boat Rebuild (7).jpg

A picture of the rot in the front cudy area
03 Boat Rebuild (1).jpg

bjurcina

Cadet
Re: Daysailer Rebuild

The first thing I had to do was separate the top deck from the hull without doing any major damage. It actually wasn`t too bad. The seam had been weekend over the years and came apart with a gasket scraper and hammer after I drilled out all the rivets. The biggest problem was lifting it off. I managed to gear up a supporting frame and an electric winch that did the trick. It only fell once, :) and that was actually a rigging mistake. Luckily it was only about a foot high.

Finally got it separated. The spray foam was the hardest to separate. I kept thinking I was missing something, a bolt or glued section but finally I took a large stick and jammed it down between the deck and hull near the foam and it broke free.
04 PB060048.jpg

Here is the inside before any work. The spray foam was in between the stringers near the back of the boat.
05 PB080054.jpg

Here is what the transom looked like. Most of the wood was mush.
06 PB080056.jpg

Here I`ve removed all the rotten stringers and ground out the supporting fiberglass. The stringer was originally made of white oak but that wasn`t an option so I used a couple layers of standard grade plywood epoxied together. I know most of you will say that I should have used something water proof but I sealed it top and bottom with epoxy. My thoughts were that rot proof or not I don`t want it soaking up water.
07 PB280070.jpg

bjurcina

Cadet

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Restoration is all done and I will post the rest of the pics.

bjurcina

Cadet

This was the main problem with the boat. The floor was soft and since it had a contoured shape I didn't want to get at it from the top. I cut out the bottom and removed all the rotted balsa core.

08 2012-01-23 09.24.22.jpg 09 2012-01-23 09.41.06.jpg

And here's my gas powered shop vac. :cool: There was lots of grinding to do in this project. Using a large highspeed grinder works fast but it also melts the resin and creates a smooth surface the results in poor mechanical bond. To improve the bond I would go over all the surfaces with very course paper (32 grit) by hand before applying epoxy.

10 .jpg

bjurcina

Cadet

I used foam core for the floor as it would create and nice thick solid but flexible structure and then I used Meranti board for the seating area. Since Meranti is not very strong and can be pulled apart easily, I drilled 1 inch holes throughout the length of it and aloud the epoxy, which was thickened with micro balloons, to squeeze up through. I then applied a top layer of cloth and epoxy to the Meranti and that was now tied to the opposite side of the board through the 1 inch holes. This actually seemed to work really well and was very light and strong.

11 2012-03-25 21.04.50.jpg 12 2012-03-26 15.41.27.jpg

bjurcina

Cadet

Here I used dock foam as flotation foam and was able to make a hot wire knife out of a 12 volt power supply and some stainless steel lock-wire. The center picture shows the wire which was suspended from the ceiling to the base of this cart. The plywood provided a nice level surface to slide the foam along, creating nice square cuts.

13 2012-04-14 21.21.12.jpg 14 2012-04-14 21.21.38.jpg 15 2012-04-23 09.56.52.jpg

bjurcina

Cadet

Here the top deck has been reunited with the bottom using thickened epoxy applied with a caulking gun. Now it is time to do the cosmetic work. Some more sanding and filling with gelcoat. Then a top coat using the tip and role method which turned out really well. As hard as I tried I could not prevent dust from getting in it though. It was minimal and everyone that saw the finished job was impressed but I knew it was there.

17 2012-05-09 09.06.25.jpg 2012-06-05 16.21.16.jpg

bjurcina

Cadet

I will look for the photos of it all put back together and in the water. I managed to get a used sail cut down and fitted which worked out great. The Jib is a little weak but I'll wait until I have some more hours in the water before investing more money. It spent the entire summer in the lake behind our house and never had an ounce of trouble. I managed to modify the mount for the swing keel guaranteeing that it would not leak and it didn't. I think that might be a weak spot for these boats as it was a crude setup.

I was only able to sail it a couple times but it did work well and I was amazed at how small our lake is. 2 km long by .5 km across. This summer I have a friend that is going to take me out into the harbour to really try it out.