Mercury vs OMC Forum Size

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Just happen to notice the OMC site forum has almost a 2:1 lead on number of posts.

Soooo speculation would have it that either there are twice as many OMC engines floating around or there are twice as many problems with them. Don't know. Have had both and were fine engines.

Mark

Edit. ADMINISTRATOR: Maybe this goes in a different forum!

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: Mercury vs OMC Forum Size

Twice as many Johnnyrudes w/ problems, Mark :D. But I think the new E-techs have closed the gap !!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Twice as many Johnnyrudes w/ problems, Mark :D. But I think the new E-techs have closed the gap !!!

Rooster, am I reading your Avatar correctly. Do you have a 250 hp engine on a 25' toon? If so, does the toon have wings? Grin.

Mark

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

How many skiers can you pull with that motor on the Toon? Bet they have a good wake to jump.:eek: Oldman570

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd be a little uneasy with putting a 250 on a toon. Toons are much less forgiving. I was on one that became a submarine because the driver made one little mistake.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

The guy who bought my 225 put it on his pontoon boat with a 15 pitch prop. He was real happy with it. It would get up and move like right the hell now.

More posts on the OMC forum means OMC's have twice as many problems. Most folks only post if they are looking for answers to their problems. Take the Towers of Power out of the mix and the OMC site would have 10X as many posts.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have not done so, but if you look at the "age" of the Johnny/Rude engines I think you would see a good number of them deal with much older engines than you see in the Merc forum. If you look at the mid '80's through current models you will likely find about the same numbers. This is just an observation and not numerically proven.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Twice as many JohnnyRude owners actually work on their engines? Twice as many older JohnnyRudes still in service? Twice as many JohnnyRude owners can spell?

Jumping to conclusions with such vague evidence serves no useful purpose. Serves only to start an argument.

Moving to non-repair.

cwarends

Cadet

I have a Bennington 2013 25 foot with a Yamaha 250HP on it that runs 43MPH and handles great. It has two 25 inch outer toons and a 32 inch inner toon. It planes quickly and handles as well as my previous v bottom boat.
You can buy this with a 350HP motor that runs low 50's.
Playcraft is know for making high speeds pontoons and you can get one that has (2) 300HP motors that runs 80MPH
You can also get toons with I/O motors if preferred.

nwcove

Admiral

twice as many johnnyrude owners actually work on their engines? Twice as many older johnnyrudes still in service? Twice as many johnnyrude owners can spell?

Jumping to conclusions with such vague evidence serves no useful purpose. Serves only to start an argument.

Moving to non-repair.

^^^^ROFL!!!!! :p

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Johnson AND Evinrude. That's two brands vs. one. Yes, I know the Mercury forum includes Mariner, but Mariner was hardly ever a full-fledged equal with Mercury and was only around for about 20 years.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

As an owner of 2 mid to late 70's OMCs and living in the land of outboards, OMC used to be manufactured in Waukegan Illinois, 1/2hr drive and Mercury Marine in Fond Du Lac. Sense the 1950s I've seen them all.

I believe the lack of parity in the two forums has more to do with which group provides a greater oppertunity for the user to to find a used engine and actually have success in getting it operational at a reasonable cost.

It has been my experience that parts for the older OMC are much more readily available at a reasonable cost, there is much more parts interchangeablity thoughout the years and models and OMC has far fewer "No Longer Available" parts which just makes them easier to keep running.

Now I am just starting my second project boat in 4 years. Both of these were in need of engines when I purchased them. In both cases I had found many OMCs or Mercurys that would have fit these boats. In both cases I chose an OMC for all of the reasons above. Also OMC does not require as many specialty tools to make many needed repairs. Also with my currant project I was able to find many more running 50-60hp OMC than Mercurys and zero used Yamahas or Mariners in this size.

So just the perspective assumption that the OMCs are easier to maintain I believe give them a bigger following among older used engines.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

As an owner of 2 mid to late 70's OMCs and living in the land of outboards, OMC used to be manufactured in Waukegan Illinois, 1/2hr drive and Mercury Marine in Fond Du Lac. Sense the 1950s I've seen them all.

I believe the lack of parity in the two forums has more to do with which group provides a greater oppertunity for the user to to find a used engine and actually have success in getting it operational at a reasonable cost.

It has been my experience that parts for the older OMC are much more readily available at a reasonable cost, there is much more parts interchangeablity thoughout the years and models and OMC has far fewer "No Longer Available" parts which just makes them easier to keep running.

Now I am just starting my second project boat in 4 years. Both of these were in need of engines when I purchased them. In both cases I had found many OMCs or Mercurys that would have fit these boats. In both cases I chose an OMC for all of the reasons above. Also OMC does not require as many specialty tools to make many needed repairs. Also with my currant project I was able to find many more running 50-60hp OMC than Mercurys and zero used Yamahas or Mariners in this size.

So just the perspective assumption that the OMCs are easier to maintain I believe give them a bigger following among older used engines.

Well sir, this is getting into some of the "whys and wherewithalls". I started with Scott-Attwater when a teen with a 10 hp engine my dad bought. My first engine was a 25 hp Wizard (said to be built on the Merc Mark 30 prints} back in about '57 or '58. My buddies were running OMCs and seemed to be doing a number on me as we tried to water ski with small light boats and small HP engines. In '58 or '59 I sold my Wizard and bought a rude 18 and swore it pulled me as good as the Wizard....no facts to back up the assumption.

Years and a few kids later I got into a Chrysler or two and got out of that and into a Johnny 125 and 18' Caravelle tri-hull. Exceptional rig and no problems and no maintenance for 6 or 7 years when I sold it. Then on to bass boats and another Merc or two (30 then 85) and then a '70 rude looper and then a 115 Merc tower and then the current 90 3 cyl looper after a recess from boats/fishing for a few years when I bought my farm and started learning about tractors and plows.

As I said all good engines, minimum problems excepting the current '02 90 Merc looper. Seems the high mpg numbers (combustion efficiency) and EPA requirements take their toll. For now it is running as good as it ever did and I am happy. Who knows how long that will last. At least my sweetie is happy and this is our motorcycle. Lots safer.

Oh, I missed a couple: 1.7 hp. Mighty Mite, well used '57 is Johnny bronze and white 5.5, and about a '74 Merc 4.5 single and 7.5.

Mark

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Which goes into another story. Right after we bought the house we are in now a neighbor gave us and old glass boat that had a early 70s Chrysler, can't rememberif it was a 35hp or a 45hp. Anyways the lower unit gearsace was cracked and the gears were all rusted. Engine ran terrific! I looked on craigslist and ebay for almost 2 years to find another for parts or even just the lower unit, to no avail. Sadly that poor thing ended being scrapped.

So once again it all goes back to parts availablity.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Based on a quick look I's say about half the OMC posts are about motors from the '50s, '60s and '70s. Percentage of Merc questions from that era seems much lower, although there are some. Ford/Chevy, Beatles/Stones, whatever.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There is no doubt about it the OMC line has new ignition,cooling and fuel system parts readily available dating back to the early 50s.
BRP/OMC dealers can still get parts and there is a vast supply of new and used parts from many reliable sellerts on the net.
My limited experience the OMC motors are easier to work on some with regular hand tools.
My very limited experience with Mercs they were a more sophisticated design but more difficult to service sometimes requiring
special tools,where the OMCs might respond to a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.
Of course many of all the newer motors now require special tools.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well sir, this is getting into some of the "whys and wherewithalls". I started with Scott-Attwater when a teen with a 10 hp engine my dad bought. My first engine was a 25 hp Wizard (said to be built on the Merc Mark 30 prints} back in about '57 or '58. My buddies were running OMCs and seemed to be doing a number on me as we tried to water ski with small light boats and small HP engines. In '58 or '59 I sold my Wizard and bought a rude 18 and swore it pulled me as good as the Wizard....no facts to back up the assumption.

Years and a few kids later I got into a Chrysler or two and got out of that and into a Johnny 125 and 18' Caravelle tri-hull. Exceptional rig and no problems and no maintenance for 6 or 7 years when I sold it. Then on to bass boats and another Merc or two (30 then 85) and then a '70 rude looper and then a 115 Merc tower and then the current 90 3 cyl looper after a recess from boats/fishing for a few years when I bought my farm and started learning about tractors and plows.

As I said all good engines, minimum problems excepting the current '02 90 Merc looper. Seems the high mpg numbers (combustion efficiency) and EPA requirements take their toll. For now it is running as good as it ever did and I am happy. Who knows how long that will last. At least my sweetie is happy and this is our motorcycle. Lots safer.

Oh, I missed a couple: 1.7 hp. Mighty Mite, well used '57 is Johnny bronze and white 5.5, and about a '74 Merc 4.5 single and 7.5.

Mark

Missed a couple more: A late '50's or early 60's 22 hp Scott-Attwater on a 13' Taylor Craft, a 9.9 McCullough I used on a fishing boat that didn't have underwater exhaust and once on plane the noise was unbearable, a Merc Mark 30 I put on a 14' Mirro Craft for a duck hunting boat and a '65 18' Starcraft Holiday with a Merc 110 that I restored.

Phew, what a reality check. I guess I spent a little of my life on the water. No wonder I got tired of it and bought a farm.

Mark