Temp vs. Resin

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I bought Polyester Boaters Resin from West Marine.
Says not to use less than 60*...........it's only supposed to be in the low 40's today?

Whats the risk if I do it today?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Temp vs. Resin

Not good, it won't set-up and you'll have a gooey mess.

They post those working temps for a reason.

Working temps for resins, adhesives, paint, and expanding foam are the down side of winter restorations.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Mixed poly resin gets hot enough in the pot to distort the plastic container if you leave it to long. In low temps, it won't be able to heat up enough to fully chemically catalyze, affecting it's strength & integrity.

If you want to try & trick the resin into working properly, you need to keep the resin inside & warm until you're able to get the fiberglass surface you want to work on & a tented work area around it warmed above 60. Heating the whole garage, or using whatever means necessary to cover & heat the 'tent'.... You need about 12hrs at 60....

You don't want to over catalyze (use more MEKP) the resin in an attempt to get it to kick quicker or generate more heat. Over heating the work area & the tent to speed the reaction can cause the resin to improperly catalyze as well. When resin is 'over-cooked' in either way, it affect it's strength & integrity.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Guess it wouldn't bea good idea to do it in my basement...........fumes.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, nobody wants resin flavored turkey leftovers
AngryFinger_7WSKJO.gif

Have halogen work lights:
1d486500-4b1d-4722-8dec-68890b5f5fee_300.jpg

an electric heater & a set or 2 of those ^^ will heat up a small garage, above 60, I don't know, but maybe a smaller version of this:
attachment.php

attachment.php

tpenfield

Staff member

Yup . . . anything that you can do to get the working area temps up would be good.

Some of the folks here have done fiberglass work in cold temps, but it requires some supplemental heating and going on the high side of the catalyst percentage. The problem with the WM gallons, is there is not much extra catalyst provided.

I worked a bit this past year with some colder temps (maybe 50's) . . . I stored the resin inside in a fairly warm place and pre-heated the area to be glassed, and then went with a 2% catalyst mixture.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I agree, heated tent is the way to go this time of year if you want to get anything done. It's not going to get any warmer any time soon... it isn't even winter yet.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Guess it wouldn't bea good idea to do it in my basement...........fumes.

Well I would suggest that if you somehow managed to put a boat in your basement then Fumes would be the least of your worries considering ..

What are you trying to do here exactly ? Mold making or trying to stuff a 18 footer down your basement that needs repair ?

YD.