Are outboards required to use marine grade fuel lines (gray vs black)?

wickware

Lieutenant
Are outboards required to use marine grade fuel lines (gray vs black)? I almost went broke paying 3.00 + per ft. It helped to only need 4?. I tried a national known Auto Store?s grade that was ethanol resistant (with a clear lining) and rated a marine grade (gray braided ext) with a primer bulb as part of the 6? kit for under 20.00. The primer bulb cracked at every seam the 1st trip out. That forced me to the Dealer to get his thick gray line for peace of mind. This was my recent reply in a recent post, I felt I needed to post as new to get replies.

I have not mentally gotten ready to pay the Dealer 28.00 for his grade of primer bulb since mine is still working (as my fuel line was). The line was so hard and plastic looking (but still flexible) that it was scaring me. From the 1970 original owner purchase and my 1984 purchase, the bulb could be deteriorating inside. I have not seen any signs in the clear filter or fuel bowl.

Has anyone tried the rubber-less BlueSkies outboard primer bulb and has an opinion and approx cost?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Are outboards required to use marine grade fuel lines (gray vs black)?

Because outboards hang outside the boat there is less danger of gasoline fumes permeating the fuel line and collecting in the bilge. Therefore the outboard itself is not required to have marine grade fuel lines (Qualified: If the owner changes them.) Similarly, an outboard is not GC required to have a flame arrestor over the carbs while an inboard engine must. An outboard, however,still must have explosion proof components like a distributor and alternator (if so equipped)

However, it would be a wise decision to use marine grade in any internal (inside the hull) fuel lines including the gas tank vent line, if any.

wickware

Lieutenant

Thanks Frank! Good info!

Nordin

Commander

I use automotive fuellines at the engine (connector to fuelfilter/pump and from pump to carb/carbs). Normaly I alway have portable fueltanks to my engines and there I use automotve lines and bulbs with marinegrade. The factorymade or bulbs from dealers are really expensive. Here i Sweden everything that has marinegrade or has dealers/factorybrand costs 300% more then expected.
I buy fuellines and bulb from a store that sells spareparts for cars and also some marine parts. A 6-6,5 ft line with bulb costs about 9 euro that is about 9 dollars. A bulb costs about 4 dollars.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

When my 10 year old Quicksilver gray fuel line started developing tan flakes that clogged everything, I replaced it with a clear vinyl so that I could see that the line in fact was the source of the crud, which it was. I couldn't find the specs on the vinyl and it lasted quite a few months but as time went by I noticed it getting stiff.....plasticizers apparently dissolving out of it. It still had it's integrity and if bent or crushed, it returned to the original shape, but it was no longer limp.

So I went to the auto parts store and got some standard fuel line with reinforcing cord. I asked the clerk about ethanol resistant and he didn't know. Store was Autozone so I figured with a chain of that size one would think that they carried a suitable hose for fuel. We'll see.

Mark

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"Are outboards required to use marine grade fuel lines (gray vs black)? "

Whew!!!
Depends......mainly who happens to inspect your boat and how they feel on a given day!
If you have enclosed fuel tanks (built-in) then USCG approved fuel lines are required for the enclosed portion. Otherwise, run whatcha brung.

matt167

Captain

When my 10 year old Quicksilver gray fuel line started developing tan flakes that clogged everything, I replaced it with a clear vinyl so that I could see that the line in fact was the source of the crud, which it was. I couldn't find the specs on the vinyl and it lasted quite a few months but as time went by I noticed it getting stiff.....plasticizers apparently dissolving out of it. It still had it's integrity and if bent or crushed, it returned to the original shape, but it was no longer limp.

So I went to the auto parts store and got some standard fuel line with reinforcing cord. I asked the clerk about ethanol resistant and he didn't know. Store was Autozone so I figured with a chain of that size one would think that they carried a suitable hose for fuel. We'll see.

Mark

Dunno about what brand Autozone carries ( Dayco I think ). The goodyear hose I get from the local Carquest has " Ethanol Resistant " printed right on it. Current Fuel rated rubbers are supposed to all be Ethanol compliant