1963 Lark IV Electric Shift

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was out running around today on the Chesapeake Bay and all the sudden I lost forward gear...then had an oil slick ...I was able to cruise in reverse to get back home...I have blown a seal...but look at the pictures...there is a slot that has opened up...on both side....they were no there before...on one side there was a little of the metal housing still sticking out. is the lower unit housing now toast? I have plenty of seal kits...electric gear...etc....but not a spare housing. Should I be looking for a new housing or can the blown out slots be repaired? Is this normal?...I didn't know they were even there. :confused:

LowerUnit1.jpg

Attachments

• LowerUnit.jpg
    LowerUnit.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1963 Lark IV Electric Shift

It looks like it's time for a re-seal job. Before you go through the xpense of buying seals though, you will be best off to inspect everything inside.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Zephr...will do....but what was the slot on the side of the housing for? I looked in my manuals...etc...no mention of it...both side had the metal blown out..almost like it was a freeze plug....not sure....its below the oil vent water is getting into the lower unit.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I'm not sure, actually. My experience with electric shift models is pretty limited. Manual shift now, that's a different story. I would look things over good and make sure nothing blew up inside and damaged anything.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will do....I dropped the unit this afternoon so I could work on tomorrow. From what I can tell....all is well...no metal...lots of water....coils work fine.....the 2 slots seemed to be real thin castings that blew out. The motor runs so well I hope to keep it going another 50 yrs.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you kind sir! I will report back later today on my findings.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK...got the lower all torn down...turns out I had a bearing in upper gear case fail...damaged the drive shaft ...actually wore groves into the shaft...tore the upper seals out and damaged the water pump also. Still not sure what the 2 slots are for that blew out on the upper housing. Please look at the pictures...does anyone know what these are?..these were not there before the damage...all the pics I can find of the lower unit do not show these slots. Both sides looked as if they were blown out by pressure. The metal in these areas are very thin....maybe freeze plugs?? Anyone have any ideas??

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found the problem...Upper drive shaft bearing failed....which caused the pinion thrust washer fail....and destroyed the drive shaft. I found out what the slots are in the lower unit...its the thinnest part of the lower housing which is where the pinion thrust washer and bearings reside. When the washer failed....it was forced out the sides of the housing....ugh....so all new parts have been ordered from ebay....yeah!!!
pinion thrust washer.jpglower unit housing.jpg

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nah!....only $260.00..all parts from ebay. Hell....I only paid $100.00 for the motor...Decided to fix the lower...plus now I have found another lower unit complete and rebuilt from a local dealer...$375.00...so I'll treat that as a xmas present to my self and I'll have 2 units to keep me going for hopefully another 50 years...:D

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Holy crap. That is high. If it was me, I would have just grabbed a parts motor with a manual shift for about $50. These 40's are plentiful and cheap right now. I bought three runable ones for $50 a year ago and since sold two of them.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have 2 other motors that are manual shift....but I just love this lark the best....so I dont mind spending the money. Besides...now I have plenty of spare parts now. :joyous: