Need pointers - # of toons, trailer, and motor size

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all -

We sold our 21' runabout boat this year. Had a lot of fun with it, but family is larger and need some space. I'm going to buy a pontoon.

Here is my project plan:

a) I buy older stuff and fix it up..
b) 28' to 30' -- pontoon from the 1980s probably.
c) No furniture, just some nice marine deck chairs so I can move them around.
d) double bimini top
e) used on inland lake. I'll have a seasonal slip.
f) Most of the time this is a family cruise, swim, fish setup. BUT I want to pull a tube and kneeboard for the kids.
g) I'll spend the $$$ on the right motor - I think 90HP minimal.

So where I need some pointers:

a) Should I skip all the 2 pontoon setups and just get a 3 pontoon (hard to find..). Will I be real unhappy with a 28' 2 toons setup with 8 ppl on board?
b) If the 1980s pontoon doesn't have the transom rating, Is there some transom reinforcement kit I can buy to handle the motor/hp combo?
c) I do plan to tug the pontoon on the highway to other locations a few times a year. Float on trailer is the way to go for highway stability, right ?? I have Suburban 2500 tow rig.

THANKS

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Need pointers - # of toons, trailer, and motor size

If your crew is accustomed to a runabout a barge will require some serious getting used to. Any size will feel sluggish, but longer than 24 feet will be an absolute pig with any power plant. Not sure how committed you are to the 28 to 30 foot range, but if there will generally be eight aboard I'd suggest 22 to 24 feet with 90 to 150 hp depending on capacity ratings. That size will easily accomodate you (remember, unlike other boats barges are almost all usable space) and will be considerably "faster" and more "agile" (and I use the terms loosely:p) for tubing and kneeboarding. And, speaking of tubing and kneeboarding, it doesn't seem wise to plan on doing much of that with loose deck furniture aboard, especially with people sitting in it. In fact, it seems dangerous. It will be difficult if not impossible to find anything under ten years old with three toons, but I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you're really concerned about speed and handling, which you don't appear to be.

With regard to towing; big barges (28' and longer) have really bad road manners. You'd certainly be able to tow one with your burb, but you wouldn't enjoy it. Most barges, mine included, come on bunk trailers and ride on them very well. I know some of the guys tow theirs on scissor-style trailers and like the arrangement just fine. Seems to me that kind of trailer would be less stable for towing, but since I've never towed one my opinion is not that well informed. In any case, most of the rigs you find will be on bunk trailers, so you probably won't have to deliberate much on that point.

I probably didn't answer your questions directly, but I really think you'll be much better off with something in the 22 to 24 foot range and would be better advised to look for boats that size. I also think you'll quickly find there are more of them available. JMO. Happy hunting and good luck with whatever boat chooses you. Barges have a lot going for them.:cool:

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Just my .02

a) Should I skip all the 2 pontoon setups and just get a 3 pontoon (hard to find..). Will I be real unhappy with a 28' 2 toons setup with 8 ppl on board?

I would look for a 3 tube pontoon. Where are you located? they're not to difficult to find in my area?

b) If the 1980s pontoon doesn't have the transom rating, Is there some transom reinforcement kit I can buy to handle the motor/hp combo?

Don't know about this, but if you find a nice 3 tube rig, the transom will hold plenty of engine.

c) I do plan to tug the pontoon on the highway to other locations a few times a year. Float on trailer is the way to go for highway stability, right ?? I have Suburban 2500 tow rig.

I'm sure the Suburban will tow what you're looking for just fine. Just make sure the trailer maintenance is up to snuff.[/QUOTE]

rogerwa

Commander

Two things to consider..

1) an 80's toon maybe hard to find larger diameter pontoons. Whether its a 2 or 3 tube boat, getting the largest diameter you can get will help with weight. Many 80's models have 19-21" toons.
2) a three tube boat will require a bunk style trailer. If you keep it in the water all year and only remove it in the fall like I do, you can get away with just renting a trailer to put in an d take out. With a three tube you will have to own the trailer as you cannot drop it on land with a bunk trailer like you can on a scissor trailer. I put mine on blocks during the winter. A three tube would need to be stored on the trailer.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

In the 80's, they had 20', 24' and 28' boats. Now, most are 20', 22' and 24'. Some 25's are out there, however they're somewhat less common. 28' boats are hard to handle around a dock. Fencing now goes all the way to the bow, where in the 80's they left 3'-4' in front to stand on. That makes a newer model 22' the same size inside as a older 24'.

You will have a hard time finding a 1980's tri hull boat, as they're usually in the 2000's. A 2 toon 24' boat with a 90 hp or 115 hp 2 stroke motor would do you if you're wanting to do water sports. But, stay away from 19" diameter toons. And avoid any scissors style trailer, as they're just not very roadworthy. I'm glad you have a real tow vehicle.

smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 92 Aqua patio 24ft with a 115 yammy 2 stroke on the back. I have small 19in tubes and can hit 25mph on gps. If you are looking for watersports, I think your on the wrong track. I think you need to be looking at a tritoon or at least a 20-22ft with strakes and a 115.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks all for the feedback, keep it coming ! ! kinda giving me a reality check. That is good. I was planning on a total spend of$7000 for a fixed up barge, but sounds like it wouldn't do what I wanted it to. I'm thinking of changing my approach and focus on toon size and motor vs. LOA size. Probably going to spend some more too... darn it...

Nightfisher-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 92 Aqua patio 24ft with a 115 yammy 2 stroke on the back. I have small 19in tubes and can hit 25mph on gps. If you are looking for watersports, I think your on the wrong track. I think you need to be looking at a tritoon or at least a 20-22ft with strakes and a 115.

Wow. I have an old 1978 24ft Harris, small logs with a raggedy 50hp 1982 Johnson on it and I GPSed it at 20mph at WOT last week. You must have either a lot of furniture, or crew aboard if your only getting 25 with a 115!

Lots of good advice so far Calvinator. I totally agree with Incoop.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Same plan but with a 25' boat, alot more of them around and way easier to find in tri toon form and you may find one with a 150 which is really what you want, a 90 on a boat that big is minimal and unless you have small children I don't think they will like the 90.

I think you would be okay with a 2 tube as long as they are at least 25'' but a tri would be better.

No hop up kit for a transom as far as I know, you would need to alter the deck also weith more crossmembers to increase the stregth so go woth somethung that is already rated for what you want, memory serves 150 was a pretty big engine in the 80s, wasn't until the later part, mid 90s that bigger engines were common.

With the trailer a bunk is better to tow with but a scissor is alot more versatile as in you can drop the boat without needing water, scissors are fine as long as you remeber that you are towing with a narrow wheel base.

My last tip would be to keep a semi open mind when looking for boats, you have a very specific boat in mind that may be hard to find so don't be afraid to consider a smaller boat, really anything 2 or above should suiit you needs.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Let me tell you about our pontoon boat. it's not an 80's anything. It's an 07 24.3 ft StarCraft with a 90 hp merc oil injected OB.I got it in 09 and I trailer it. The trailer is a 06 Five Star tandem wheel with brakes on the front. This year I tried sell it. The word is tried to sell it. The people who looked at it said it was nice but they all wanted a four stroke not a two stroke. Didn't sell it .Every one who looked at it tried to low ball me.. Didn't sell it. One guy wanted it but said the 90 hp was to slow ,he wanted a 135 .Didn't sell it. We took it out on the Chesapeake bay opened it up to 5,000 rpms Did 22.6 mph... To slow. So after listening to all those cry babies who wanted a 24 ft bargeto would do a wheely on the water I decided to keep the boat until it becomes one of those old 80's that someone will want to fix up.. My only prombem is I'll be in my 90's by then. The only problem I see having a boat this size is finding some people who enjoy the boat as much as I do. I'm 71 years old. We have the location for the boat. I'ts just to hard to put it on the trailer all the time with out help.The 24 ft boat is too big. but where we are it's just the right size if you have a larger family. Right now it's in winter Storage Next May I'll tow it back to the head waters of the Chesapecke bay and hope some family will want to help me take the boat out for a day cruise.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I've got a new 24' Bennington tritoon with a 150 hp Yamaha. It's good for 40 mph GPS. It's very nice, needless to say. The strakes on the hull gets the nosecones out of the water, and that's where the speed and efficiency comes from.

I still have my 1985 Starcraft 24' twin toon with a Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke. It accelerates like a Banshee out of the hole, but all of a sudden stops accelerating when it hits "the wall" at 30 mph. 2 strokes will handle skiers and tubers with ease. It gets very good fuel mileage, and will plane off @ 2500 rpms at a pretty fast cruise. I've got to replace the lower unit before I can sell the boat, as I ignored maintenance and toasted the gears.

You can find a boat for your allotted $7K price. I just suggest you get on one of the big websites and filter your search for your geographic area. Look at the best boats that fit your family's needs. The main thing is to have the engine checked out for compression and pay to have the lower unit pressure/vacuum tested and check that the lower unit is good. (It's a weak point on an older boat.) I personally like 90 hp or preferably 115 hp motors on twin toons.