Good Starter Skis

dwilliams224

Recruit
Looking for recommendations on good first set of skis. I have water skied before, but I would consider my experience to be very limited. Should I just buy whatever is cheap? Should I look for used equipment?

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Good Starter Skis

I would pursue both used and sale price skis. Over the years I've purchased about 8 pairs of combos (that we still have and all get used occasionally). Close outs at end of season big box stores, a couple at garage sales, or used sporting goods stores. Not a lot of selection for combo pairs on the ski-it-again site.

Our skis include vintage wood with vinyl bindings, fiberglass concave bottom, fat and narrow.

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I prefer and teach people on flat bottom wooden skis. They come out of the water easier on take off, have less drag, and track better at lower speeds. They are also less tiring. Show skiers use flat skis for a reason.

edit; another thing I like about the older wooden skis are the boots, especially Cypress Gardens ski boots. They are easy to put on, especially for beginner skiers who are not comfortable yet putting skis on in the water while trying to balance (float) in a ski vest.

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would echo all of the above. We only started skiing last year, and I bought a new pair of combo's only because I have a high in-step and found conventional bindings uncomfortable. However, you should be able to get used (almost new) ski's at a variety of places. Don't forget about ebay either.

h20skiluvr

Cadet

I agree with all the posts above. It sounds like Electric John may be on to something with the wooden Cypress Gardens- they are easy to use, especially if you're in the water alot while getting ready to ski. Newer skis are more comfortable and control well. Fat skis are more stable and good for bigger guys. Skibrain gave great advice for you to make a purchase that will help keep costs down- my advice is only to do your research, and make a purchase that will get you up the easiest and having fun; save the big investment for later-

Last edited:

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have been intrigued by the HO combos. Their former pinnacle now called burner series has the same basic slalom ski of their comp freeride series slalom ski. I would think you could use the combos and ride the slalom till you are darn near ready to ski into a slalom course.

haulnazz15

Captain

Just find a decent set of new sale-price combos (brand really isn't that important) or a nice used set at a garage sale/craigslist. I prefer the 67" sets because they will work for a wide range of skiers and can usually suffice for the occasional slalom skier. I have an old Cypress Gardens wood slalom ski that I break out every now and again for nostalgia, but it's certainly not superior to any modern ski. To be honest, I doubt there's much reason to spend much on a combo set at all, as most ski manufacturers aren't putting loads of R&D into making combo sets. They make their money on slalom skis, not combo sets. Just get a standard set of skis, you don't need funky shapes or big tips . . . keep it simple.

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should have mentioned that I got the HO Blast 67" combo's with the adjustable contour boots. I love the ski's and the boots, and most of my friends who have skied a lot longer than I have really like it as well. The other advantage is that they are able to accommodate my feet (men's size 10) but also my wife's little (women's size 5) feet. In addition, they are fine for all the various sized people who are frequently out with us.

I made good progress last year and start and ski on just on the one ski now, but don't think my skill demands a better ski yet.