Not sure if i have a problem or not with volts

twebb

Seaman Apprentice
I just replaced the starter, starter solinod, and one trim solinod. Brand new battery in the boat. When starting the boat volts read 12.5 to 13.0, after warm, it idles at 14.5v. When i increase speed, the volts jump to 16.0v. If i hit the trim button, it drops back to 13.5v then rises back to 16.0v. Is this a problem? Thanks for all the help.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Not sure if i have a problem or not with volts

Doubt it. Trim pump is high current draw device similar to the starter. All normal in my opinion.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Thats how the run . You can install a voltage regulator if it bothers you but when you run trim pumps, starters etc they use power and the voltage level in the system drops. A voltage regulator will take out the highs but not the lows.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your good as your system is unregulated.Make sure you are using correct Battery.You do NOT want a maintenance free battery,they will die an early death.You need a refillable battery as they will lose a bit of water under higher voltages.....keep an eye on levels.
Mine pegs at 17V at WOT and hasn't been a problem.

twebb

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Given the choice between a having to buy a crappy 2-3 season boat anchor refillable batery for $100 and using the battery he has now with a $59 voltage regulator I'd go $59 regulator all day long. Mercury stopped using those non regulated systems for a reason.

Your good as your system is unregulated.Make sure you are using correct Battery.You do NOT want a maintenance free battery,they will die an early death.You need a refillable battery as they will lose a bit of water under higher voltages.....keep an eye on levels.
Mine pegs at 17V at WOT and hasn't been a problem.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Given the choice between a having to buy a crappy 2-3 season boat anchor refillable batery for $100 and using the battery he has now with a $59 voltage regulator I'd go $59 regulator all day long. Mercury stopped using those non regulated systems for a reason.
So your advice is to use a service free battery on a boat.I hope you got a paddle.
read this:
Battery Differences
Maintenance-free batteries (gel cells / AGM / closed-case) have thin plates. They’re ideal for a charging system that maintains a typical charge between 12.5V – 14.4V, but not for outboards, where batteries are commonly drained by accessories while fishing, etc. i.e. when there is no charge applied to a battery while the battery is in use. Its thin plates cannot withstand constant discharging and charging. It will develop weak and/or dead cells due to this behavior.
Maintenance-free batteries should not be used because their life span is shortened when used on an outboard application. A new fully-charged, maintenance-free battery will work fine at first, but under constant discharging and charging, something that style battery is not designed for, it will eventually become weak and/or develop dead cells, thus unable to accept a full charge, thus putting a rectifier/regulator at extreme risk of failure.
Non-maintenance-free batteries (lead-acid flooded cell; has vent caps on its top) have heavy, thick plates. They’re ideal for outboards, where batteries are commonly drained by accessories while fishing, etc. i.e. when there is no charge applied to a battery while the battery is in use. Its heavy plates can withstand constant discharging and charging. These batteries have much more reserve time and are much more suited for this behavior.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Deep cycle group 31 here with a 40 amp stator. I'm saying before he goes and replaces the battery he has with a more expensive one I'd get rid of the non working regulator he has and replace it with one that works. Then in 5 years or more when his battery lets go he can replace it with a deep cycle or hybrid marine battery. Plain non maintenance free batteries are nice for nostalgia but they suck compared to a full sized deep cycle or high dollar marine hybrid but those batteries need regulated power. I'm just not too hip on 1950's tech.

So your advice is to use a service free battery on a boat.I hope you got a paddle.
read this:
Battery Differences
Maintenance-free batteries (gel cells / AGM / closed-case) have thin plates. They’re ideal for a charging system that maintains a typical charge between 12.5V – 14.4V, but not for outboards, where batteries are commonly drained by accessories while fishing, etc. i.e. when there is no charge applied to a battery while the battery is in use. Its thin plates cannot withstand constant discharging and charging. It will develop weak and/or dead cells due to this behavior.
Maintenance-free batteries should not be used because their life span is shortened when used on an outboard application. A new fully-charged, maintenance-free battery will work fine at first, but under constant discharging and charging, something that style battery is not designed for, it will eventually become weak and/or develop dead cells, thus unable to accept a full charge, thus putting a rectifier/regulator at extreme risk of failure.
Non-maintenance-free batteries (lead-acid flooded cell; has vent caps on its top) have heavy, thick plates. They’re ideal for outboards, where batteries are commonly drained by accessories while fishing, etc. i.e. when there is no charge applied to a battery while the battery is in use. Its heavy plates can withstand constant discharging and charging. These batteries have much more reserve time and are much more suited for this behavior.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Didn't see what motor were talking about. If an older motor he probably does not have a regulator to replace. Lot of older motors used the battery as a regulator of sorts and only have a rectifier. I did replace my rectifier with a rect/reg from a newer motor because I was concerned about the higher voltage damaging my electronics. But there are a lot of older motors still runing and charging batteries just fine without a regulator.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Deep cycle group 31 here with a 40 amp stator. I'm saying before he goes and replaces the battery he has with a more expensive one I'd get rid of the non working regulator he has and replace it with one that works. Then in 5 years or more when his battery lets go he can replace it with a deep cycle or hybrid marine battery. Plain non maintenance free batteries are nice for nostalgia but they suck compared to a full sized deep cycle or high dollar marine hybrid but those batteries need regulated power. I'm just not too hip on 1950's tech.
His motor is unregulated,it only has a rectifier.Non maintenance free (refil batts) are deep cycle batts.Regulated systems came out in the 90s with Mercury.......dont know where you got the 50s from.