Airguide Speedometer Help

lightwin

Cadet
Hi
I am trying to find information about an Airguide "Jeweled Contralog Movement" speedometer. It is 0-30mph with black numbers and a gray and white background. The needle is black with an orange tip, the housing is chrome. On the back is P4592 which is the only part/model type number I can find. It takes an air line on the back. Any information about its age or how I might come by a manual would be greatly appreciated. It was on the smae dash as an Airguide Tachometer P6487 which seems to have some available information online.
Thanks

lightwin

Cadet
Re: Airguide Speedometer Help

Yes, I have contacted the website operator but we are yet to nail down a model. Any other help from all of you would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching a picture as well

Attachments

• speedo front.JPG
    speedo front.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Yes, I have contacted the website operator but we are yet to nail down a model. Another other help from all of you would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching a picture as well

Ayuh,.... What, Exactly, do ya wanta know,..??

It's vintage is, Old,....

It's value is, Whatever somebody is willin' to pay for it...

lightwin

Cadet

I am trying to find the model number for the unit. I am not concerned about the value as I plan on using it, not pawning it off. What I would like to be able to do is find out what I need to use for the pitot as the one on the boat is broken off. Are there specific requirements for hose diameter and length? My goal is to make the gauge functional and I thought a model number or manufacture year might help me find a manual or specifications for the gauge. So far it has been narrowed down to the 60's. I apologize for my typos in previous posts.

NYBo

Admiral

I don't think you're going to get a lot of choices regarding pitot specifications. They are all pretty much the same, AFAIK.

UncleWillie

Captain

It doesn't matter.
The speedometer works on the pure physics of dynamic water pressure.
The size of the hose or the size of the hole in the pitot have ZERO Effect on the accuracy of the speedometer gauge head.
As long as the pitot is pointing directly into the water flow, anything is just as good as anything else.

lightwin

Cadet

Thanks. I am surprised I can pick up a new pitot that will work with it. Thank you for sending that link. Now to make sure the gauge works first.

UncleWillie

Captain

Thanks. I am surprised I can pick up a new pitot that will work with it. Thank you for sending that link. Now to make sure the gauge works first.

Just blow into it.
You should see close to 10mph with "Lung Power."
Closer to 20mph with "Cheek Power."

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It will be nice to have a working matching speedo but chances are if you need an accurate reading a gps is best.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Just blow into it.
You should see close to 10mph with "Lung Power."
Closer to 20mph with "Cheek Power."
Old timer told me awhile back that 10 psi should indicate 30mph.

lightwin

Cadet

Then I must have a leak in the line or weak lungs. I could only register about 7mph on it. I'm not worried about its accuracy. I'd be fine without it but since the holes are already drilled in the dash and it fits the time period of the boat I figured I would include it in the fix-up. Thank you all for your help

UncleWillie

Captain

Old timer told me awhile back that 10 psi should indicate 30mph.

For your Reference...
1.5 psi = 10 mph
2 psi = 12 mph (Typical pressure produced by a set of young health lungs.)
6 psi = 20 mph
13 psi = 30 mph
23 psi = 40 mph
52 psi = 60 mph

Lightwin,
If you could blow 7mph the gauge is working.
For a simple test, anything between 5 and 15 is good in my book.
If the needle didn't move, or pegged above 60 mph, that would be a problem.:nod: