changing the O rings in the 2-hose connector on the end of the tank's hose.....how?

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Title pretty much says it all: I want to change the O rings inside the connector (on a 2-hose pressure tank setup)...

How do they come out? They're located behind a flat disk that appears to be pressed into the connector body. There's got to be a disassembly procedure, but I sure can't find one.

Anyone know?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: changing the O rings in the 2-hose connector on the end of the tank's hose.....ho

Well Ill tell you the easiest method, buy one of F_Rs tool for this procedure, makes it simple and easy.

Short of that, cut 2 pieces of stiff wire, Ive used paper clips, but the service bulletin calls for #18 gauge or #17 gauge 4" to 5" long.

Remove the hoses from the connector.

Bend a loop 3/8" to 1/2" diameter on one end of each wire for handles. On one of the tools, form a hook with about a 1/16" inside radius on the opposite end of the handle. Now both special tools are made. One a straight punch, the other a hook.

Put the connector in a vice or secure face up. Depress the valve plunger down into the connector with the straight tool. Now use the hooked tool to pull the o ring out.

To replace the o rings, oil the ring up and place on the connector face. Push down on the plunger again with the straight tool by passing it through the o ring. Pinch the o ring together with your fingers and stuff it down into its seat. Now run the straight tool in circles around the inside of the o ring with the straight tool to ensure it is square and seated.

Done like dinner, have a beer.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: changing the O rings in the 2-hose connector on the end of the tank's hose.....ho

tip: do not use sierra o-rings.....get omc o-rings for that job.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

tip: do not use sierra o-rings.....get omc o-rings for that job.

Correctumondo! I actually dont really use any Sierra parts. First of all because I like to support the makers of my outboards, secondly I only like to do a job once! ;) They dont fit like your tip states.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

seriously? You fold & force them through the hole while holding the spring down?

My engineering mind is stunned......

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Yes....They go in fairly easy. I had a harder time picking the old o-rings out. Just buy a little pick tool and go to town. It's easy.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, you don't even need the straight tool to get them in. Just squeeze them double and slide them in. Heck, getting them in is not the problem. Getting 50 year old petrified rubber out without damaging the brass insert is the problem. My tool takes the connector apart so you aren't digging around in there and scratching it up with some sort of makeshift wire or pick.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My tool takes the connector apart so you aren't digging around in there and scratching it up with some sort of makeshift wire or pick.

Seems to me that taking it apart is the sensible way to do this....what is "this tool" being discussed?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A large crochet needle does a pretty good job. That's all I ever used.