How to restore the inside of a aluminum gas tank?

jbettinger86

Recruit
I have a 93 key west 1700DC and i am restoring the boat. i have taken out the gas tank and was wondering if anyone knew of a good product to clean the inside. I know it doesn't leak, It was plum full when i bought the boat. It appears to be a good gas tank.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to restore the inside of a aluminum gas tank?

Depends in whats in the tank. If it is old gas, I would just drain it out and use the old gas in a lawnmower or other small engine if it is not gone bad. Once it is empty, fill it with hot water and simple green or some other biodegradable degreaser. and then just slosh it around for a while. Then drain it and let it dry out. You could also figure out a way to put a few pounds of pressure on the tank and check it for leaks that way. Hate to install an end of life tank in a new restoration.

jbettinger86

Recruit

Yea i know about the old gas tank situation. Its just hard to find a gas tank with these dimensions. I looked every where and i can not find one that is a belly gas tank that is max 4.5 in. in height. I found a website that they custom build them but. who knows what that will cost. I will keep that simple green in mind. i never thought of that. thank you.

Trooper82

Commander

Here is a link to what I used to test the pressure on my tank...they do make a product to seal the inside of a tank too just not sure atm where the link is for it....that gauge can be bought at HD...tag on my tank said to test to 3 lbs.....I used soapy water in spray bottle to check for leaks...there were plenty too!