New boat advice

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New boat advice

with the range of boats given, what type of fishing (fresh water/salt water, trolling/casting, etc) .... how many people .... any other requirements/expectations

Jim

igurtin

Cadet

with the range of boats given, what type of fishing (fresh water/salt water, trolling/casting, etc) .... how many people .... any other requirements/expectations

Jim

Ocean, casting . Probably 4 or 5 max with kids included.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Really only one I would consider for what you want to do.

I would be striking a deal that would include a survey and sea trial.

1987 20 foot Grady White

Hull, stringer, transom, and motor condition is everything.

igurtin

Cadet

1987 20 foot Grady White

Hull, stringer, transom, and motor condition is everything.

Why not a trophy or sports raft ?

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

1987 20 foot Grady White.

if it is in good condition, that would be my first option as well .... not that the others couldn't give good service, just that Grady White has a long history of excellent production

Jim

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There may be nothing wrong with them, but one needs a trailer and batteries, which means $$$, and you aren't getting a sea trial without a trailer. You don't really want to buy a trailer for a boat you may not buy, do you? Don't think you will find a decent trailer cheap. NOTHING about a boat is cheap to fix or replace.

Condition is everything.
Also, I prefer outboards. As a newbie, I would stick with an outboard. A lot less to worry about.

Traditionally, Grady has always made a great boat.

Its getting pretty late in the year to be getting a sea trial. Most people that take care of their stuff have already winterized their boats.

jestor68

Commander

Another vote for the Grady with the Mercury outboard. That one also has the better trailer.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well you are ALL over the map!!!

You need to start with step 1 and take a boating class.

Step 2 would be establish a budget that includes at least an additional 1-1.5K for maintenance.

Some of the boats you have listed are the worst and the poorest construction available. They will either fall apart or suck the life out of you and the bank account.

You need to start small and reliable.......which means you stay closer to the shore until you advance in the learning curve. I grew up boating on LI and the ocean can kill you with a single wave. I/O boats are more maintenance........ outboards are easier.

I would recommend a deep V hull with a late model outboard and a kicker motor and about 19 feet plus in length.

Be VERY careful buying since Sandy trashed many boats in your area .......they may have sunk. Really a good time for prices but ANY boat purchase should REQUIRE a water test.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

outboard only. no bow riders. Of your list, the Grady. get a 21'+ center console.

southkogs

Staff member

I like the look of the Grady White too, but the Trophy might be okay. There's not really enough information.

If I were you, though - I think I might lean more toward a 19' center or dual console. If you can swing $5k, I'd keep lookin' around.

cyclops2

Banned

Open bows offshore can be a serious handfull during a sudden squall. Been there as a passanger & shut my mouth for over 4 hours. We dam near did not make it back. The outboard was underwater almost 1/2 the time.

So I really only like dry & fully protected inboard engines or inboard / outboard drives.

Another not so fun part is which inlet will you have to go in & out of ?? Some are VERY difficult with the tide running at maximum speed.

Have you been a passanger for many rides on different sized / styles of boats ?

Have you been caught offshore inblinding fog for hours ?

I am not discouraging you.............!!!!!

I am trying to find out your experience limits so you are not putting you & your boat into such fearfull conditions that you want to sell the boat if you make it back to the dock.

With todays weather condition aids that show every cloud in a 10 mile area around you.............you can drive around the heaviest rains $ squall cells.

Still............if the hitech stops working. You need the training & knowledge to make it on your own.

A enclosed bow would be a excellent boat to start with................Sandy has created a used boat MESS for buyers at any price. including brand new boats. There are going to be thousands of boats with SEVERE corroded electrical problems.

Bob VT in post # 9 is so correct................can you wait a year for all the corrision to destroy the switches so badly that repairs will have to be made ?