1985 85hp force outboard

just recently i launched my boat started the motor and idle seemed kinda high, but as soon as i put it in forward or reverse the engine just shuts off. so a friend of mine said to start the motor and quickly shift into gear and i did that and it did not die. but i hate doing that because obviously you will get looks at the marina. anyway went fishing and while i was anchored the motor had been off for an hour or soo and went to start it and it would not start. it took about 15 tries and it finally started. got home and did a compression check and i dont know what the compression should be at?
top is 100 mid is 60 bottom is 100. also it just started to backfire out of water, its a loud bang from the exhaust.
fyi's: water impeller in good condition because water is shooting out of mid section and trim tab.
also fouled the prop on some commercial lines, so when in 3/4 throttle engine will just rev if dropped down to 1/2 throttle boat will continue to cruise.

any suggestion's will be helpful thank you.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 85hp force outboard

Low comp on #2 is a big problem.
It makes it hard to start and makes it stall and run crapppppppy.
Do another comp test and recheck the numbers.
Remove all the plugs when testing.

It sounds like #2 is carboned up or the pistons gone,Possible the head gasket is bad.
Remove the head and check for damage.

Re: 1985 85hp force outboard

finally removed the head, no damage but alot of carbon buildup. what do i do at this point. thanks everybody.