83 evi 15hp ignition use on 74 johnson 15hp?

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
ihave a 74 johnson 15hp. picked up a box of parts from a 83 evi 15hp. can i use the flywheel/plate/coils/ignition on my 74? then i can get rid of the points set up.
thanks
dino
ps, the 83 is really a box of parts, power head looks good but the outside needs to be blasted and repainted hardly worth the effort really.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 83 evi 15hp ignition use on 74 johnson 15hp?

picked up a box of parts from a 83 evi 15hp. can i use the flywheel/plate/coils/ignition on my 74? then i can get rid of the points set up.
thanks
dino

Oh no dino, you didn't, what will your hooker buddies have to say about that.;)
I have no idea if that will work but good luck and have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow.
GW208

dkonrai

Oh no dino, you didn't, what will your hooker buddies have to say about that.;)
I have no idea if that will work but good luck and have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow.
GW208
and what happy hooker is on this board? :) and yes happy thanksgiving to you and your family.
dino

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If the armature support and plate will line up it may fit, also check taper on crankshaft..

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yes, the parts will fit. I've done several of these conversions myself.

Couple of things you need to do in addition to the ignition parts. Replace the exhaust cover - it holds the supports for the power pack. Replacing the exhaust cover will also allow you to add the tell-tale pisser to your '74. Replace the cylinder head - plug angles are different and will have difficulty clearing the power pack.

dkonrai

Couple of things you need to do in addition to the ignition parts. Replace the exhaust cover - it holds the supports for the power pack. Replacing the exhaust cover will also allow you to add the tell-tale pisser to your '74. Replace the cylinder head - plug angles are different and will have difficulty clearing the power pack.

chinewalker,
thank you for answering my questions!

the machinist

Chinewalker beat me to my reply. He is right on.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Been there, done that several times myself also. Has worked great.
Oldman570