Richard

I own a pontoon with a 2002 mercury 60hp bigfoot. Had no engine problems until quite recently when overheat alarm came on at about 4200 rpm.
My local marina which has a service department said it was something they could sort out in a day.We are on vacation here in Florida and did not want to be without the boat for too long. We handed over the boat and they got to work on it that day. That was five weeks ago and they are still no closer to fixing it having spent hours on i t- at $95 per hour. If i take it away from them to have someone else look at it i fear they will be relieved to release their contratual duty and still present me with a hefty bill. If i leave it with them they must either fix it or admit defeat. In the latter scenario can they still bill even though they have not cured the problem.Our vacation ends in two weeks when we must put the boat back in storage. How do i stand? If i just take the boat away i fear they will bill me!!

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Richard

I am affraid you fears are correct as they will bill you for any time and parts that they have used if you get the toon back at anytime fixed or not. Five weeks should be lonf enought to replace almost any part on the motor. Your best bet is to call them and see when it will be fixed and stay on thier case about it. Then remmber not to take it back there again. JMO
Oldman570

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Richard

I own a pontoon with a 2002 mercury 60hp bigfoot. Had no engine problems until quite recently when overheat alarm came on at about 4200 rpm.
My local marina which has a service department said it was something they could sort out in a day.We are on vacation here in Florida and did not want to be without the boat for too long. We handed over the boat and they got to work on it that day. That was five weeks ago and they are still no closer to fixing it having spent hours on i t- at $95 per hour. If i take it away from them to have someone else look at it i fear they will be relieved to release their contratual duty and still present me with a hefty bill. If i leave it with them they must either fix it or admit defeat. In the latter scenario can they still bill even though they have not cured the problem.Our vacation ends in two weeks when we must put the boat back in storage. How do i stand? If i just take the boat away i fear they will bill me!!

File a complaint with the local BBB . . . check into your state's consumer protection laws involving repairs, providing estimates, advising of additional costs, etc.