AQ125A Loads Up when Trolling

ajax5240

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1984 Bayliner Capri 16'er with an AQ125A I/O and the 270 Outdrive. Starts and runs terrific, have fixed all the wonderful cooling issues, full tune up, good compression, timing and dwell set, etc.

When we use the engine to troll, keeping the RPM's @ 1000 for over 30min it starts to load up and you have to pull all the lines in and run the snot out of it to clear it out. Sometimes will be only firing on a few cylinders till it clears out. Normally takes a few minutes then all is good for another pass.

Anyone have an idea of something I am missing? Or is this old girl just not destined to troll?

Thanks in advance for any help!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: AQ125A Loads Up when Trolling

Sounds like the air screw needs fine tuning?
Get the motor warm and in gear at idle, turn the air screw in till it just starts to miss, buck or stutter and then back out 1/2 turn.

Do this with new or clean plugs. New is best!!

TBI Guy

Recruit
Re: AQ125A Loads Up when Trolling

The way I have always set these is by running the air screw in until is starts to buck, then back it out until it starts to buck, then turn it in 1/2 way between the two.

Also, dual carbs? Getting them in sync can be a challenge and with most noticeable problems at mid throttle when they aren't forced in sync by throttle stops or idle screws.