Changed LU Impeller

BDL123

Cadet
Replaced the impeller in my LU, got the outdrive put back together and connected to boat. I then placed in fwd, spun the prop CW and get the ratcheting as expected and not able to turn CCW. All good. Put in neutral and prop spins freely both directions....again all good. Place in Reverse and spun CW and it locked but when turning CCW the ratcheting is not as pronounced as what I heard when it was in forward. My question is should the ratcheting be the same when in gear? This was my first attempt and do not want to have issues when on the lake next spring.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Changed LU Impeller

Yea, I noticed that about mine also that fwd and rev sound a little different but locked properly as is yours.

I do not have the technical knowledge to explain if that sound difference is exactly normal or what it might mean so someone else will have to chime in. I do know that I had no issues with the sound difference.

Once you feel good about it being ok right now, fill with lube, fire it up on the hose and take it to normal operating temperature at about 1000 rpm.

Good job.

Mark

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Whether or not it ratchets when it turns freely is unimportant (it may or may not), what is important is that it locks when turned CCW -F, CW -R and spins freely (with or without ratcheting) in N.

BDL123

Cadet

Thanks gents. I already put her to bed for the winter so will not get a chance to fire it up till spring. It does lock as you illustrate Stonyloam so i'm guessing all is well. Thanks again for helping out a first time boat owner. You just never know things are as they should be without prior experience.