Level wind reel

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there another level wind reel, besides the Penn 309, that will hold
`100 yds. of lead core line. I am talkig in the 50 to 70 dollar range.
Regards, old jim

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Level wind reel

Of course line-counters are not really needed with lead-core but I like the repeatability of the counter and when your setting out 4 to 6 lines at a time it is easy to lose track of the color count without the line-counter,...

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Jim,

If it does not have to be a line counter, I may have something you'd be interested in. Sending PM.

Andrew

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I forgot that I also have a pair of Abu Garcia A20lc line-counters that I bought at Walmart for about $50 that hold a full 100 yards of lead with 100 feet of backing,....

I see they don't list them online,.....

Fishing Reels : Fishing Rods & Reels - Walmart.com

However the Penn 209 levelwind line counter looks interesting,...

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Also the Shakespeare Tidewater reels are okay and run just over $40 apiece,...

The Okuma Magds would probably work as well in the $50 range,.

pdgs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

100 yards of lead core is 10 colors. A 300 wide body or a 400 narrow body reel with 12lb lead core might make it. I get 5 colors of 18lb on Shimano Calcutta 400B, D and TE models. I could probably get 10 colors of 12 on them. Check out the Abu Garcia's.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I've been able to get a full 10 colors of 18lb lead-core on every reel I posted,.........

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow lots of choices, soon as I digest yesterdays and todays celebrations, I will digest the replys to my question.
Regards, old jim

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

My, how we have all gotten spoiled! Whatever happened to using a conventional reel and using your thumb on your rod holding hand for a level wind?

pdgs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My, how we have all gotten spoiled! Whatever happened to using a conventional reel and using your thumb on your rod holding hand for a level wind?

Whaaaaa, you can do that ? I just thought that was done for show in the movies. Like the old man and the sea.. LOL

MRS

Commander

I have those and they work great but nobody else can use them. Not sure why...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

While not fancy, the Penn 209/309/320GTi will be around long after all the others where relegated to the dumpster for lack of parts support. Okuma has some of the worst part support in the business. Not good when you call your wholesaler looking for repair parts for a 2 years old reel and get laughed at.

pdgs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have those and they work great but nobody else can use them. Not sure why...

LOL, whenever somebody smarts off I throw my dads old Shakespear on a rod and hand it to them. They get a confused look when they cast and the handle spins. They figure out what the leather flap is for but it's usually after they burn their thumb pretty good.

MRS

Commander

LOL, whenever somebody smarts off I throw my dads old Shakespear on a rod and hand it to them. They get a confused look when they cast and the handle spins. They figure out what the leather flap is for but it's usually after they burn their thumb pretty good.

O ya the old kuckle busters ouch. Think I still have a few scars from those...:black_eyed: