New suzuki owner with a problem

Duck duck goose

Recruit
This past spring I bought a used 2002 DF40 that needed some work. I had a great dealer that worked with me on finding parts that would work (some used some new) and they got it running like a top... until yesterday. I'm a duck hunter so I used my boat generally until the launches freeze up or, as in the case of this year, the water level is too low to get my rig in the water.

I went out yesterday for the fifth time this season and the outboard didn't want to start. It wanted to turn over but it felt like the battery wasn't giving enough juice to turn it over. So I switched batteries to a fresh one and the same thing. I finally did get it going and let is idle for 15 min, shut it off and it fired right back up again no issues. We were out for two hours and then headed home at which time it started up fine again. Put both batteries on the charger when I got home and let them charge to full. Once one was done I hooked it back up to the boat and let the other charge.

Started putting it away for the season this morning because the water is getting to skinny to launch and the same issue happened. I hooked up my ear muffs to it to run it out of gas and it wouldn't start, again with same first battery but worked ok with the other. I just had them both load tested and they came back good (650 & 718). Any ideas from someone with more experience with this outboards?

Also, today when I tried to start it with the ear muffs on it was not pushing water; I think I could have a frozen line. I'm also getting a constant beep once its running as of this AM. Could this be that it was not pushing water and/or that the fuel line was off?

Thanks in advance for any answers. Is away for the season now but I just would like some idea of what I'm looking at come spring.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: New suzuki owner with a problem

have the batteries charged and load tested to make sure they are good to start out with.
then if problem persists , check all connections and cables themselves

Duck duck goose

Recruit

Thanks but I put in the original post that I had them load tested. It's the starter starting to go. I got a better response elsewhere on another forum.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If it is the starter, I do not see how one battery works and the other does not

Duck duck goose

Recruit

I don't think you're reading the original post that closely based on your two post my friend. I stated that I had issues with both batteries and then finally it started. I'm all set now.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

it wouldn't start, again with same first battery but worked ok with the other.

Glad to hear you have it sorted out, but this is where I got the idea there was a difference between the 2 batteries