1990 Black Max 135 battery charging issues

mr_plow

Cadet
hi guys, recently my boat has been giving me grief. first noticed it when i was out on the river trying to start after abit of water skiing. boat would turn over but just would not have enough cranking amps to start.
when we took it home and but the battery on the charger, if fired straight up.
i checked the battery with with a multimeter while the boat running and there was no fluxuation of volts when i increased the revs.

ive searched through testing the stator, regulator/rectifier etc but cant find relevant information to my motor (oc287182)
as it seems to have just one massive voltage regulator under the coils.
ive checked the 2 yellow wires coming off the stator in dcv with the neg on the block while the engine is running, and it is jumping all over the place from 13 to 23 or so, very hard to tell as it jumps up and down so fast.
if anyone could guide me on how to test it properly, as ive never really delt with ohms resistance.

thanks

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1990 Black Max 135 battery charging issues

The stator puts out AC voltage not DC to start with. You need to measure the resistance with the stator wires disconnected from everything else. Best for you to get a manual for your engine, can find right here.

mr_plow

Cadet
Re: 1990 Black Max 135 battery charging issues

thanks for the links but i couldnt find any info relevant to the large water cooled voltage regulators (part number 18736-c)