Impressed by Sierra warranty

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sent back a defective impeller for my Alpha One (rubber loosened around brass hub), and they reimbursed me for parts, haul-out, and mechanic fees.
Nice to finally "catch a break" in this industry.

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Impressed by Sierra warranty

Impressive! Hope the replacement isn't from the same production run :D

Yeah, right? No, they assured me that they had an issue with a supplier, and it's been corrected. Maybe that's one of the reasons why they readily processed the claim.......it sure sounded like they were fully aware of the problem.

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just to update....they also sent me a box of 6 quarts of their gear lube, and an entire impeller, housing, and gasket kit.

Bondo

Staff member

Just to update....they also sent me a box of 6 quarts of their gear lube, and an entire impeller, housing, and gasket kit.

Ayuh,.... Cool..... :)

wrench 3

Commander

I've been using Sierra parts for over twenty years and never had one fail. But it's nice to know that their warranty is that good.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Just to add another experience - in case someone says that is a good reason to go with OEM - I had the same exact thing happen to an impeller I replaced a few years ago. It separated from the brass insert. It was Quicksilver OEM brand. All I got was another impeller! :rolleyes: So it can happen to any manufacturer. (In fact it would not surprise me if ultimately they use the same supplier!!)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would prefer to use OEM over Sierra. Nice that they replace defective parts but what about your down time and labor? What if the part fails in the middle of a vacation?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

y oem over sierra ???
Personally, I had a bad experience with a Sierra water pump impeller. I know there were issues with the Sierra OMC bellows making it hard to get the u-joints past them. The price difference is not significant enough.