Looking for a boat for a small lake

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've owned ocean going boats in the past, but now I want a small 18-20 bowrider to putt around a small (14 miles around the perimeter) lake in So Cal. What do new boats cost in this size range? I wanted to spend about $10K, give or take a few grand for a used boat, not having a clue what new boats go for. How new or good of a boat can I get in this price range? What should I look for? I'm not going to be waterskiing or wakeboarding but I want a boat that can get up on a plane in a few seconds and at least seem like I'm going fast. Most of the time it's just my wife and I and pair of dogs, at most there would be 4-5 people on the boat and a slim chance that I would tow a person on an inflatable toy.

Also, what brands of boat or motors or outdrives should I look for and which to stay away from. What's the best time of year to buy?

Zerbel04

Seaman
Re: Looking for a boat for a small lake

Bought mine in August for $14,000. It's shown below in my signature.

I was also originally looking for something in the 10K range but quickly found that if you can bump that closer to the 15K range the quality, age and options you will get increases exponentially.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've owned ocean going boats in the past, but now I want a small 18-20 bowrider to putt around a small (14 miles around the perimeter) lake in So Cal.

Welcome to IBOATS.

The LA boat show in February is generally the best place to get the best deal on a new boat or maybe even a left over model from the previous year a dealer may have on the lot and trying to sell.

Even an entry level builder boat of that size will cost (LA boat show price) pushing $20k new. Better brands can be closer to $30k+.

Just two of you and a dog you could get away with a 4 cyl Merc/Volvo i/o or outboard but if you have 4-5, how fast would you want to go as that may need a higher hp power plant.

We're from the same neck of the woods but what "ocean boats" have you owned, where did you launch those and what purpose did you use them for as all of the boats I've owned over the years were fine and I used in both areas.

Mark

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Welcome to IBOATS.

The LA boat show in February is generally the best place to get the best deal on a new boat or maybe even a left over model from the previous year a dealer may have on the lot and trying to sell.

Even an entry level builder boat of that size will cost (LA boat show price) pushing $20k new. Better brands can be closer to $30k+.

Just two of you and a dog you could get away with a 4 cyl Merc/Volvo i/o or outboard but if you have 4-5, how fast would you want to go as that may need a higher hp power plant.

We're from the same neck of the woods but what "ocean boats" have you owned, where did you launch those and what purpose did you use them for as all of the boats I've owned over the years were fine and I used in both areas.

Mark

Yes, the LA boat show makes sense to go to, at least get a better idea of what I want. Our last ocean going boat was not easily towable, 32' sport fisher, twin diesels, not sure they would let me on Lake Arrowhead with that LOL. Ideally I would get a boat in April, but was thinking people with boats used on mountain lakes or on the river like Havesu would likely be selling them cheaper during the winter or should I wait until spring and avoid storage fees? I thought about keeping it in a local harbor during the winter months but we don't want to keep in salt water half the year, that brings it's own set of problems and to me, a 32' boat was too small and had waves crash over the flybridge, an 18-20' bowrider would not feel safe in open waters.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Never took one of my boats into the mountain lakes but I know it snows there which means freezing temperatures which means you'll need to winterize or store elsewhere as you mentioned. Hopefully the guys with boats up there do that properly.

A buddy and his dad took a boat similar to Arrowhead a few months ago.

That's when he found out about the whole pre-certification thing for spread of muscles and spent a couple hours to get approved before he could start boating. Said he'll never go back but the lake was nice.

Back in the 80's I took my 14,15,16 foot open bow boats, then my 19 foot Maxum before it sold a few months ago routinely between Newport, Huntington and Long Beach harbors puttin' around with no issues just learned to be back close to home harbor before the afternoon swells and winds kicked up. Once those kick up, even in the 27 'Dancer it means slow going.

What might be best for you now to help make a decision, if you haven't already been there, go to Inland Boat Center in Perris and look at the many, many models of boats they have and get to get an idea of what you might want and the costs.
http://www.inlandautoandboat.com/pre_owned_list.asp

Mark

jkust

Rear Admiral

So you're talking a 780 acre lake then. You won't need anything too expensive and although I dislike 4 cylinder I/O's, in this case Im sure you will be just fine. It is actually suprising how much a 19 foot boat new, out the door with a trailer costs plus all the gear you need if you'd have to rebuy since your last boat. My only concern is that the lake is over 5000 feet of elavation and so there may be some consideration there as to the carb or at minimum a prop change. Of course MPI requires no user changes.

buellwinkle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good tip on the altitude, never think about that these days when all cars are fuel injected. I took a classic car up once and it ran like poo. I'm hoping more modern day boats built in the past 10 years are fuel injected but since most motorcycles are not, I'm not holding much hope but I can rejet a carb, not a big deal but FI will be a priority.

Just about nobody keeps their i/o drive or inboard in the water past the end of this month unless you have a lift and a canopy. There are services that picks it up, hides it somewhere down the hill and brings it back in spring, at least that's what the locals tell me. They say if I want to keep a boat in the water all year I need an outboard, but frankly, I looked and not many outboad bowriders out there. The only boats I see on the lake are pontoons and Boston Whalers that stay year round, but with the snow, no sure that's a good idea. We just bought a dock, so when the boat is inspected at the begining of the season, it's in until winter and if the person storing certifies that it has not been in the water the whole time, then you don't need to be re-inspected. It's what they tell me anyway.

Inland Boat Center recently got the contract for the Lake Arrowhead marina, so it's definately worth checking out if Perris is their large location.