Rochester 2bbl on 165 inline Question on rebuild

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am finishing up a rebuild on the carb from my 1974 Mercruiser 165 HP inline 6. Basic Rochester 2 bbl.

There are 2 small metal balls that belong in it. One is larger than the other.

One belongs in the bottom of the pump discharge under the venturi cluster assembly. Drop it in, put the spring in and then the t shaped doodad is pressed in before the venturi cluster assembly is screwed down over it all.

The other ball drops into the bottom of the tube for the pump plunger in the float bowl.

The question is - which ball goes where? I have been trying to determine which spot gets the larger ball without much success. The manual does not appear to say. The instruction sheet that came with the carb kit does not say.

The 2 balls that I removed from the carb when I took it apart appear to both be the same size so paying attention when I dismantled it did not help. Who knows how many times this carb has been worked on in the past. The boat is 38 years old.

Does anyone know for certain which spot gets the larger ball?

Randy who wants to button this thing up before any of the little pieces get lost

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rochester 2bbl on 165 inline Question on rebuild

Thanks.

I did a bit of google searching after I posted that and came up with the same 2 things.

The Buick page indicates the larger ball goes in the hole under the venturi cluster so that is what I did late last night.

The youtube video by Mike is conflicting. He initially put the smaller ball in the hole under the venturi cluster but then there is a pop up that says he was wrong and has corrected himself.

I had watched those videos a couple of days ago and then tried to determine which was correct.

The fellow on the Buick forum does a nice job of explaining what he did with the carb.

I may finish putting this thing back together tonight.

Too bad I won't get to try it until about May or June.

Randy

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

The smaller ball definitely goes under the pump.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The smaller ball always goes under the pump, it is also usually aluminum, the larger which goes under the venturi cluster is steel.